Exhibiting a homomorphism f: G-> Aut(G)

• Thread starter AdrianZ
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the map f(g)(h)=ghg-1 as a homomorphism between groups G and Aut(G). There is confusion about whether ghg-1 is an element of Aut(G) and understanding the notation of f(g)(h). It is clarified that ghg-1 is an automorphism on G and f is a homomorphism. The discussion also touches on the difference between f_g and fg and how they relate to the homomorphism.
AdrianZ
I'm watching Harvard's abstract algebra course online and the professor says that the map f(g)(h)=ghg-1 is a homomorphism between the groups G and Aut(G). the thing that I don't understand is that whether ghg-1 is an element of Aut(G) or not. It must be an element of Aut(G) because It's in the image of f but I can't figure out how it is an element of Aut(G). Can someone clarify what f(g)(h) means at the first place? if h is the input, then what is f(g)? Is f(g)(h) the same thing as fog(h)? Shouldn't our input be from G and our output in Aut(G)? so if h is in G, Is ghg-1 an automorphism on the group G under its operation? I'm confused :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you agree that [itex]f_g(h)= ghg^{-1}[/itex] (I prefer that notation so we don't get "g" and "h" confused) is "auto"- that is, that it maps amember of the group to a member of the group? That should be clear because the group is closed under the group operation.

So the only thing left to prove is that it is a homomorphism: that is, that [itex]f_g(hk)= f_g(h)f_g(k)[/itex].

Okay, [itex]f_g(h)f_g(k)= (ghg^{-1})(gkg^{-1})[/itex]. What does that reduce to?

Last edited by a moderator:
well, I think the main confusion was about the notation he had used. so, ghg-1 is indeed an automorphism therefore it's in Aut(G). now It's clear that f is a group homomorphism. Thanks for the help HallsofIvy.

AdrianZ said:
so, ghg-1 is indeed an automorphism therefore it's in Aut(G).

No, it's not. [itex]ghg^{-1}[/itex] is an element of G, not of Aut(G).
The map

[tex]f_g:G\rightarrow G:h\rightarrow ghg^{-1}[/tex]

is in Aut(G). And the map

[tex]f:G\rightarrow Aut(G):g\rightarrow f_g[/tex]

is the homomorphism.

micromass said:
No, it's not. [itex]ghg^{-1}[/itex] is an element of G, not of Aut(G).
The map

[tex]f_g:G\rightarrow G:h\rightarrow ghg^{-1}[/tex]

is in Aut(G). And the map

[tex]f:G\rightarrow Aut(G):g\rightarrow f_g[/tex]

is the homomorphism.

Yea, I meant the same thing. Thanks for pointing out the slight difference in the way I had phrased my sentence. I meant ghg-1 defines a set theoretic automorphism on G (It's one-to-one and onto) and fg (the function defined by that relation) satisfies fg(h.h')=fg(h) . fg(h').
Now as you said, the map [tex]f:G\rightarrow Aut(G):g\rightarrow f_g[/tex] is a homomorphism because we have: fg.g'(h)=(g.g').h.(g.g')-1=(g.g').h.(g')-1g-1=g(g'h(g')-1)g-1=g(fg'(h))g-1=fg(fg'(h))=fgofg'(h).

the thing is that Benedict Gross first misinterpreted the problem, so I too got confused what he was talking about and lost the path we were following.

1. What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the structure and operations of a group. In other words, it maps elements from one group to another in a way that maintains the group's properties.

2. What is the significance of exhibiting a homomorphism f: G-> Aut(G)?

Exhibiting a homomorphism f: G-> Aut(G) allows us to study the properties of a group G by looking at its automorphism group, Aut(G). This can provide valuable insights into the structure and behavior of the group.

3. How is a homomorphism different from an isomorphism?

A homomorphism preserves the structure and operations of a group, while an isomorphism also preserves the identity and inverses of elements. In other words, an isomorphism is a bijective homomorphism.

4. Can a homomorphism be both injective and surjective?

Yes, a homomorphism can be both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto). This is known as an isomorphism, which is a special type of homomorphism.

5. How can exhibiting a homomorphism f: G-> Aut(G) be useful in practical applications?

Exhibiting a homomorphism f: G-> Aut(G) can be useful in practical applications such as cryptography and coding theory. By studying the automorphism group of a group, we can find ways to encrypt and encode data in a secure and efficient manner.