Gibbs and Helmholtz equations for thermodynamic processes

In summary, for a thermodynamic process, the equations used to find the change in Gibbs and Helmholtz free energy are ΔG=ΔH-TΔS and ΔA=ΔU-TΔS. These equations apply to all four processes: adiabatic, isothermic, constant volume, and constant pressure. However, for processes that do not involve chemical reactions, the formula may not be as helpful.
tag16
For a thermodynamic process, what equations would be used to find the change in Gibbs and Helmholtz free energy when:
a.)The process is adiabatic
b.)The process is isothermic
c.)The process is at constant volume
d.)The process is at constant pressure

I know ΔG=ΔH-TΔS and ΔA=ΔU-TΔS but do these equations apply to all four processes?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think you need to get into the thermodynamic partial derivative definition of these processes, i.e.

Gibbs Energy:
dG = -SdT + VdP
Helmholtz Energy:
dA = - SdT - PdV

Now you set the appropriate terms to zero.

i.e.
adiabatic: is it a reversible process?
isothermic: dT=0
isobaric (const pressure): dP=0
const vol: dV=0

Does the process include chemical reactions?

Basically, I'm asking if you were given a PV graph similar to this:

http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/images/wiki/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dc/Stirling_Cycle.png/200px-Stirling_Cycle.png

How would you find ΔG and ΔA for the processes 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4 and 4 to 1?

Last edited by a moderator:
For 1 to 2:
ΔG = ΔH - TΔS
ΔA = ΔU - TΔS

ΔU=NCvΔT=0
ΔH=NCpΔT=0

so ΔA = ΔG=-TΔS; you know T but need to find ΔS. There are two derivations; either will work for you. I'm going fast so may have mixed up negative signs & numerators/denominators, you need to double check the math when you do it yourself to make sure nothing is wrong.

Derivation 1
ΔU = Q + W = 0 b/c ΔU = 0.
Q = -W
dW = -PdV
dW= -(NRT/V)dV (plugged in ideal gas law)
W = -NRTln(V2/V1)
so Q = NRTln(V2/V1)
ΔS = Q/T = -NRln(V2/V1)Derivation 2 (my preference)
Use Maxwell's relations.
(dS/dV) at const T = (dP/dT) at const V. Plug in ideal gas law.
So dS/dV = NR/V; integrate to get ΔS = NR ln (V2/V1).

Last edited:
For 2 to 3:
Isochoric Cooling - Const Volume.

ΔU = NCvΔT = Q + W.
W = PΔV so W = 0.

ΔU = Q = NCvΔT.
ΔH=ΔU+Δ(PV)=ΔU+VΔP

Last edited:
tag16 said:
I know ΔG=ΔH-TΔS and ΔA=ΔU-TΔS but do these equations apply to all four processes?

I was asking whether chemical reactions are taking place (which, as I learned from your answer, is not the case) because the formulas above refer to the change of G or A due to a chemical reaction taking place at constant T and p. The "Delta" is not simply an abbreviation for a difference here but
[itex] \Delta X=\sum_i \nu_i \partial X/\partial n_i |_{T, P}[/itex] which the nu_i being the stochiometric coefficients of the reaction taking place. So this formula is little helpful when you consider a process which does not involve chemical reactions.

1. What are the Gibbs and Helmholtz equations used for in thermodynamics?

The Gibbs and Helmholtz equations are used to calculate the change in energy or entropy of a thermodynamic system during a process. They are derived from the first and second laws of thermodynamics and are fundamental equations in the field of thermodynamics.

2. How do the Gibbs and Helmholtz equations differ?

The Gibbs equation, also known as the Gibbs free energy equation, is used to calculate the change in free energy of a system at constant pressure and temperature. The Helmholtz equation, also known as the Helmholtz free energy equation, is used to calculate the change in free energy of a system at constant volume and temperature. They differ in the types of processes they are used for and the variables that are held constant.

3. What are the units of the Gibbs and Helmholtz equations?

The units of the Gibbs and Helmholtz equations depend on the units of the variables used in the equation. Generally, the units of free energy are joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ) and the units of temperature are kelvins (K). However, the units for each variable can vary depending on the specific context in which the equations are being used.

4. How are the Gibbs and Helmholtz equations derived?

The Gibbs and Helmholtz equations are derived from the first and second laws of thermodynamics, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed and that the total entropy of a closed system always increases. By applying these laws to various thermodynamic processes, the equations can be derived and used to calculate changes in energy or entropy.

5. Can the Gibbs and Helmholtz equations be applied to all thermodynamic processes?

No, the Gibbs and Helmholtz equations can only be applied to specific types of thermodynamic processes. The Gibbs equation is used for processes at constant pressure, while the Helmholtz equation is used for processes at constant volume. Additionally, these equations assume that the system is in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium, so they cannot be applied to non-equilibrium processes.