Computer Software Engineering vs Chemical Engineering

In summary, my dad told me that he wants me to live a great life and be financially secure and he doesn't believe I can achieve that as a software developer. He believes that computer engineering is a saturated field and the fact that I'm a nigerian american male won't help me much either. I'm trying to make a decision that will allow me to live a rather upper class life. So, I would really appreciate your input guys.
ambitionz
Basically. I'm a sophomore at Stony Brook University and I was doing biomed but now I think I want to be a software engineer so, I'm trying to get into the Computer Engineering program at my school.

I did research and I learned that software developers/software engineers are growing in demand and it's a very lucrative field. My father has been urging me to pursue Chemical Engineering b/c it's very lucrative and chem engineers often work for oil companies and make a lot of money. I kept telling my dad that I've read the stats for the two professions and their salaries are in the same ballpark and I don't want to do chem E b/c I feel like I'm too far behind coursework wise and it'll take me 5-6 years to complete. I don't think I can handle such a long term commitment. Then he told me that I'm making a big mistake and I won't realize it until I'm noticeably older. So, to combat what he was saying, I looked up more stats. I learned that from 2010 to 2020 there will be an influx of 1800 more jobs. However for software developers/engineers, there will be an influx of 270,900 more jobs. This is one of the main reasons I chose the latter. Although both professions have similar salaries, the latter is in more demand.

In sum, my dad told me that he wants me to live a great life and be financially secure and he doesn't believe I can achieve that as a software developer and that Chemical Engineers command more respect in society. He believes that computer engineering is a saturated field and the fact that I'm a nigerian american male won't help me much either. Honestly I want to be able to make a decision that will allow me to live a rather upper class life. So, I would really appreciate your input guys.

Btw, this is where I got my stats from

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/software-developers.htm

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you're right on this one. The job market is much larger for computer engineers, and the wages are mostly comparable. The only downside I can think of is software engineering would be easier to outsource.

And being Nigerian American should be helping you. You're part of an underrepresented minority, and most schools/companies have some preference for minorities. That's not to say there isn't also racism.

It would be a good time to consider the "portabilty" of the careers. If you end up working at a refinery or a pulp mill or a plastics manufacturer, you may end up with great upward mobility with that company, but little opportunity to move if your plant should suffer losses and cutbacks. As mentioned above, though, software engineering jobs are so portable that they can be move offshore with little fuss.

Those are not the prime considerations, perhaps, but they might be very important to you in the future. Good luck.

what were your reasons for choosing chemical engineering? I really want to do chemical engineering but I am struggling to give reasons for my choice in my personal statement.
any help would be much appreciated! thanks!
xxx :)

Right to the point huh? What happened to the whole ''study and work on something you love and the money will come" - Do whatever you want to do, engineers in general already make better money than the average job. Stop concentrating so much on being rich and choose something that you WANT to do and if possible benefit society not just your pockets.

1. What is the main difference between computer software engineering and chemical engineering?

The main difference between computer software engineering and chemical engineering is the type of work they do. Computer software engineers design, develop, and test computer programs and systems, while chemical engineers design, develop, and optimize processes for the production of chemicals, fuels, drugs, and other products.

2. Which field has better job prospects and salary potential?

Both computer software engineering and chemical engineering have strong job prospects and high salary potential. However, computer software engineering is currently experiencing higher demand and job growth, with a median annual salary of around $105,000, compared to a median annual salary of around $108,000 for chemical engineers.

3. Is a degree in computer science necessary for a career in software engineering?

While a degree in computer science is not always required for a career in software engineering, it is highly recommended. Many employers prefer candidates with a degree in computer science or a related field, as it provides a strong foundation in programming, algorithms, and other essential skills for software engineering.

4. Can a computer software engineer work in the chemical engineering industry?

It is possible for a computer software engineer to work in the chemical engineering industry, but they would likely need additional training and knowledge in chemical processes and principles. It may also be helpful for them to have experience in computer simulation software used in chemical engineering.

5. Which field is more in demand in today's job market?

Currently, computer software engineering is more in demand in today's job market. With the rapid growth of technology and the increasing use of computer systems in various industries, there is a high demand for skilled software engineers. However, the demand for chemical engineers is also expected to grow in the coming years as industries continue to seek ways to improve and optimize their processes.