Ideal current source parallel connected with ideal Voltage Source and vice versa

In summary: ! in summary, ideal voltage and current sources have the same properties when connected in parallel and series.
NukeEngineer

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Anyone Know why If an ideal voltage source and an ideal current source are connected in parallel, then the combination has exactly the same properties as a voltage source alone?

and If an ideal voltage source and an ideal current source are connected in series, the combination has exactly the same properties as a current source alone?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
NukeEngineer said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Anyone Know why If an ideal voltage source and an ideal current source are connected in parallel, then the combination has exactly the same properties as a voltage source alone?

and If an ideal voltage source and an ideal current source are connected in series, the combination has exactly the same properties as a current source alone?

The Attempt at a Solution

Why don't you have a go at sharing your thoughts on the matter. Start by stating the characteristics of ideal voltage and current sources.

gneill said:
Why don't you have a go at sharing your thoughts on the matter. Start by stating the characteristics of ideal voltage and current sources.

well.. the truth is I'm not even sure what is ideal current voltage and ideal current source. all i know is ideal voltage source is a voltage source that won't drop because of some internal resistance (which is impossible) and ideal current source.. I'm not sure of it.

NukeEngineer said:
well.. the truth is I'm not even sure what is ideal current voltage and ideal current source. all i know is ideal voltage source is a voltage source that won't drop because of some internal resistance (which is impossible) and ideal current source.. I'm not sure of it.

Since the problem depends upon knowing what these two items are, it might be best if you check your text first.

gneill said:
Since the problem depends upon knowing what these two items are, it might be best if you check your text first.

i had. but scientific english is too difficult for me. my country's primary language isn't english. i thought someone can help me simplify it in this forum

An ideal voltage source will produce ANY amount of current necessary to maintain its rated voltage. (No matter how the load is varied, it will maintain that voltage)

An ideal current source will produce ANY amount of voltage necessary to maintain its rated current. (No matter how the load is varied, it will maintain that current)

Needless to say, it's not a good idea to short circuit ideal voltage sources, nor is it a good idea to open-circuit ideal current supplies; In either case something's going to go BOOM!

Likes frozenL and anhnha
gneill said:
An ideal voltage source will produce ANY amount of current necessary to maintain its rated voltage. (No matter how the load is varied, it will maintain that voltage)

An ideal current source will produce ANY amount of voltage necessary to maintain its rated current. (No matter how the load is varied, it will maintain that current)

Needless to say, it's not a good idea to short circuit ideal voltage sources, nor is it a good idea to open-circuit ideal current supplies; In either case something's going to go BOOM!

hmm, i see.. thanks sir, i owe you one

1. What is an ideal current source parallel connected with an ideal voltage source?

An ideal current source parallel connected with an ideal voltage source is a theoretical electrical circuit in which the current source and voltage source are connected in parallel. This means that the same voltage is applied across both sources, resulting in a constant current flow through the circuit.

2. How does an ideal current source parallel connected with an ideal voltage source behave?

An ideal current source parallel connected with an ideal voltage source behaves as an independent source, meaning that it will always provide the specified current regardless of the load connected to it. This results in a constant voltage drop across the load.

3. What is the difference between an ideal current source parallel connected with an ideal voltage source and a real circuit?

In a real circuit, the current source and voltage source will not be perfectly ideal. This means that there will be some resistance and voltage drop in the circuit, resulting in a slightly different behavior compared to the theoretical ideal circuit.

4. Can an ideal current source parallel connected with an ideal voltage source exist in real life?

No, an ideal current source parallel connected with an ideal voltage source is a theoretical concept and cannot exist in real life. However, it can be approximated by using very high quality components and minimizing the resistance and voltage drop in the circuit.

5. How is an ideal current source parallel connected with an ideal voltage source useful in practical applications?

An ideal current source parallel connected with an ideal voltage source is useful in situations where a constant current and voltage is required, such as in electronic circuits and laboratory experiments. It also serves as a useful theoretical tool for analyzing and understanding the behavior of more complex circuits.