Gap between two displaced spheres

In summary, the speaker was looking for a proof of the property that the gap between two identical circles of radius r, one shifted a small distance h upward, varies as cosθ. They tried to prove it themselves but were unsuccessful in simplifying the equations. They asked for help in finding a proof for this property.
Opus_723
This was out of a physics book, but since it's just geometry, I thought this would be the best forum to ask about it.

I was reading through a derivation of the far electric field of a uniformly polarized sphere, and the author used a trick where he modeled the sphere as two displaced spheres of uniform charge density. As in, spheres that were originally overlapping, but then one is shifted up by a small distance and the other shifted down the same. The idea was that geometrically, the gap between the spheres varies exactly as cosθ, which is what was needed for the problem.

He didn't prove that the gap varied as cosθ. It's pretty intuitive just from looking at the figure (sort of like a venn diagram). But I figured I would prove it to myself just as an exercise. Anyway, it turned out to be harder than I thought, and I can't get a simple cosine function to fall out. I tried writing out the equations of two circles centered at small displacements from the origin and then using the distance formula for each, trying to find the difference in distances from the origin at every point, but I wasn't able to simplify the square roots far enough to get anything clear. I feel like I'm probably overlooking something simple.

Could anyone direct me to a proof of this property?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Opus_723! :smile:

If you have two identical circles of radius r, and one is shifted a small distance h upward,

then obviously the gap measured vertically at any point is h,

but you want the gap measured radially, which will be at an angle θ, and so is hsinθ :wink:

1. What is the gap between two displaced spheres?

The gap between two displaced spheres is the distance between the surface of the two spheres when they are not touching each other.

2. How is the gap between two displaced spheres measured?

The gap between two displaced spheres can be measured using a ruler, calipers, or other measuring devices. It is important to measure from the surface of one sphere to the surface of the other, rather than from the center of one sphere to the center of the other.

3. Why is the gap between two displaced spheres important?

The gap between two displaced spheres is important in understanding the interactions between objects in close proximity. It can also be used to calculate the force of attraction or repulsion between the two spheres.

4. How does the size of the spheres affect the gap between them?

The size of the spheres can affect the gap between them as larger spheres will have a larger surface area and therefore a larger gap. However, the distance between the spheres will also play a role in determining the gap.

5. Can the gap between two displaced spheres be changed?

Yes, the gap between two displaced spheres can be changed by either moving the spheres closer together or further apart. It can also be manipulated by changing the size or material of the spheres.