Black hole mass as function proper time

You will need to use the proper time equation, ds^2=-d\tau ^2, and solve for M by calculating the expression \Delta\tau= - \int \sqrt{ds^2}.
pstq
Hi there.

1. The problem statement
I am asked to write the equations which give us the mass of a black hole as function the proper time.

Homework Equations

The Schwarzschild metrics is given by
$$ ds^2=-(1- \frac{2GM}{r})dt^2+(1-\frac{2GM}{r})^{-1}dr^2+ r^2(d\theta^2+ \sin^2(\theta) d\phi^2) $$

The Attempt at a Solution

The proper time [itex]\tau[/itex] is related to the metrics by the eq.[itex]ds^2=-d\tau ^2 [/itex] hence I need to calculate the following expression [itex]\Delta\tau= - \int \sqrt{ds^2} [/itex] in order to get the proper time, and finally i have to solve for M, (the mass)

Am I right? , any idea?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
.Yes, your approach is correct. Solving for M in the Schwarzschild metrics equation will give you the mass of a black hole as a function of proper time.

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region of space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it.

2. How is the mass of a black hole measured?

The mass of a black hole is typically measured by observing the gravitational effects it has on surrounding matter, such as stars or gas clouds.

3. What is proper time in relation to a black hole's mass?

Proper time is a measure of time experienced by an observer who is moving along with the black hole. It is often used in calculations involving the mass of a black hole.

4. How does the mass of a black hole change over time?

The mass of a black hole does not change over time, as it is a fundamental property of the object. However, it can appear to change due to the addition or loss of matter through processes such as accretion or Hawking radiation.

5. What is the significance of understanding black hole mass as a function of proper time?

Understanding the relationship between black hole mass and proper time can provide insights into the behavior and evolution of black holes, as well as their impact on surrounding space and matter.