Moment of inertia and Atwood Machine

In summary: That's all of the information that you need to get a value for I/r2 .Now, if you can find the radius of the pulley, you can find I.In summary, the question is about calculating the moment of inertia of a pulley using the slope value from a linear fit of an Atwood Machine experiment. The equation y=mx+b is used, with the slope value being 6.762 g/m/s^2. However, the radius of the pulley is not given and must be assumed to be frictionless. The two mass values and accelerations from two trials are provided, and the
doub

Homework Statement

The question is from a lab. The lab used an Atwood Machine with two masses suspended string looped over a pulley. The time for one mass to reach the ground was measured and acceleration of the mass was calculated. The results were plotted on a graph of weight difference (Y) vs acceleration (x).

The question is from the linear fit, slope value, calculate the moment of inertia of the pulley.

Linear Fit equation y=mx+b

m(slope): 6.762 g/m/s^2

Homework Equations

I= 1/2mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Many attempts at trying to determine the moment of interia from the slope, however I get lost because the radius of the pulley was not measured in the lab. The assumption is made that pulley it self in frictionless.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
doub said:

Homework Statement

The question is from a lab. The lab used an Atwood Machine with two masses suspended string looped over a pulley. The time for one mass to reach the ground was measured and acceleration of the mass was calculated. The results were plotted on a graph of weight difference (Y) vs acceleration (x).

The question is from the linear fit, slope value, calculate the moment of inertia of the pulley.

Linear Fit equation y=mx+b

m(slope): 6.762 g/m/s^2

Homework Equations

I= 1/2mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Many attempts at trying to determine the moment of inertia from the slope, however I get lost because the radius of the pulley was not measured in the lab. The assumption is made that pulley it self in frictionless.

Thanks in advance
Hello doub. Welcome to PF !

Do you know the equation of motion for Atwood Machine ?

You need the two mass values as well as the radius of the pulley. The radius of the pulley gives the connection between the acceleration of the two masses and the angular acceleration of the pulley.

See the Wikipedia article for an Atwood Machine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atwood%27s_machine

Last edited:
I know the two mass values, however we do not know the radius of the pulley.

In the first trial the m1 mass is 122.59 g and the m2 mass is 113.46 g with the accelerations calculated as 0.07 m/s^2

Trial 2 m1 mass 124.34 g m2 mass 111.71 g with the acceleration calculated as 0.21 m/s^2

And a correction on the slope. The slope value s 5.801 g/m/s^2

I'm not sure if that clarifies things

doub said:
I know the two mass values, however we do not know the radius of the pulley.

In the first trial the m1 mass is 122.59 g and the m2 mass is 113.46 g with the accelerations calculated as 0.07 m/s^2

Trial 2 m1 mass 124.34 g m2 mass 111.71 g with the acceleration calculated as 0.21 m/s^2

And a correction on the slope. The slope value s 5.801 g/m/s^2

I'm not sure if that clarifies things
The best that you can do is to fine I/r2 .

You'll have two values for that. One from each trial.

As a scientist, it is important to always consider the limitations and uncertainties in any experiment or measurement. In this case, the lack of measurement for the pulley's radius and the assumption of a frictionless pulley are important factors to consider when trying to determine the moment of inertia from the slope of the linear fit.

To accurately calculate the moment of inertia using the slope, we would need to know the radius of the pulley as well as the mass of the pulley itself. This information could potentially be obtained through further experimentation or by consulting previous research on the specific pulley used in the Atwood Machine.

Alternatively, if the goal is to simply demonstrate the relationship between the weight difference and acceleration, the slope value can still be used to determine the ratio of the masses and their acceleration due to gravity. However, it is not possible to accurately determine the moment of inertia without more information about the pulley.

In conclusion, while the results of the experiment may provide valuable insights into the relationship between weight difference and acceleration, it is important to acknowledge the limitations and uncertainties in the data and to consider further experimentation or research to accurately determine the moment of inertia.

1. What is moment of inertia and how is it related to an Atwood Machine?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. In an Atwood Machine, the moment of inertia is important because it determines how much torque is needed to rotate the system.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated for an Atwood Machine?

The moment of inertia for an Atwood Machine can be calculated by using the mass and distance of each object from the center of rotation. The formula is I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the center of rotation.

3. How does the moment of inertia affect the acceleration of an Atwood Machine?

The moment of inertia affects the acceleration of an Atwood Machine by determining how much torque is needed to rotate the system. A higher moment of inertia will require more torque, resulting in a slower acceleration.

4. What is the difference between moment of inertia and moment of force?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, while moment of force is a measure of the turning effect of a force. In an Atwood Machine, moment of inertia is important for calculating torque, while moment of force is important for determining the net force on the system.

5. Can the moment of inertia be changed in an Atwood Machine?

Yes, the moment of inertia can be changed in an Atwood Machine by altering the mass or distance of the objects from the center of rotation. This will affect the torque and acceleration of the system.