How to Solve for Currents in a Circuit with Resistors and Voltage Sources?

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about a circuit and solving equations using current and voltage values. The individual is having trouble finding the correct currents to use in their equations, despite substituting in for voltage using the resistance values. They also mention difficulty in drawing the circuit and ask for any tips or suggestions for improvement.
Matty9879
Cant quite get this one.
What I think is that I3 and I1 add together to get I2
and I found this equation V1+v2=E1-E2 and V3+V2=E3-E2 and I was substituting IR in for all the V's and I3+I1 where I2 comes in and making two equaitons and solving but no dice any tips? Thanks.
_________/\R3\/l
l l I3-> l
E1 ^ E2 E3 R1 = 1.00 kΩ, R2 = 2.00 kΩ, R3 = 3.00 kΩ,
l l R3 l E1=60.0V, E2 = 45.0 V and E3 = 70.0 V
l I2 l l ok the e's are epslons V=IR epslon subs in for V
l l l I did the best I could to show current direction
l l l It was tough to draw let me know if your confused
---/\R1/\-------l Or if you kn know a better way to draw on this
I1->

Attachments

• Using Kirchhoff.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 639
Physics news on Phys.org
I found this equation V1+v2=E1-E2 and V3+V2=E3-E2 and

Check your signs. v1+v2 = E2 - E1 and v3+v2 = E2-E3

ok i kind of see how you get that but that's not my problem my problem is finding which currents to use where

What is electrical current?

Electrical current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is measured in amperes (A) and is the rate at which electric charge passes through a given point in a circuit.

What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or component impedes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is dependent on factors such as the material, length, and cross-sectional area of the conductor.

How are current and resistance related?

Current and resistance are inversely related. This means that as resistance increases, current decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R), or I = V/R.

What are the different types of resistors?

The two main types of resistors are fixed and variable resistors. Fixed resistors have a set resistance value that does not change, while variable resistors can be adjusted to change the resistance. Other types of resistors include thermistors, which change resistance with temperature, and photoresistors, which change resistance with light intensity.

How do resistors affect circuits?

Resistors are used in circuits to control the flow of current and limit the amount of current that reaches certain components. They can also be used to divide voltage and create specific voltage levels in a circuit. In series circuits, resistors add together to create a total resistance, while in parallel circuits, the total resistance is less than the individual resistors.