Best calculator in the world

• Thread starter Lammy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, the best calculator in the world is subjective and depends on the user's needs. However, the TI-83 is a popular choice with excellent statistics functions and a user-friendly interface. The TI-89, HP Prime, and HP 50G are also highly recommended for their advanced features. The TI-Nspire is not recommended as a calculator, but can be used as a math tool. For a pocket calculator, the HP 35s, TI-36 Plus, and Casio fx115 ES are good options. The HP 17Bii is a business calculator with limited trigonometric functions. The HP 48 is highly regarded by engineers, but is no longer in production.
Lammy
What in your opinion is the best(or even just your favourite) calculator in the world? And why?

Computer science news on Phys.org
TI-83, because reasons.

TI-83 is the most successful historically but it's showing it's age. Little reason not to go for the 84+. The 89 is powerful, but currently not allowed for the ACT test.

This is a loaded question. Take for example the suggestion of the Ti-83/84 (same calculator aside from speed and memory, the extra memory holds extra calculator apps). It is a nice easy to use graphing calculator of moderate complexity. It is NOT in the same league as the Ti-89 or Hp 50G, but for a business or technology major, it could be an excellent choice and deemed the best. Why? it has Excellent statistics functions and features that are not as well implemented by the higher end calculators. If I were a heavy user of statistics, it might be my 1st calculator recommendation. I have seen engineers get their engineering degrees with this calculator and swear by it.

However, I used other features more often. Here is the order I would suggest you consider if you looking to buy the best:
Ti-89
Hp Prime
Hp 50G
I won't recommend the Ti nspire as a calculator, but if you want a math tool, it may be something to consider ( I would definitely buy a Ti pocket calculator to complement this, if you select an Nspire).

If you are looking for a pocket calculator:
Hp 35s (only because it is programmable and OS selectable ie RPN or algebraic (EOS)).
Ti-36 Plus
Casio fx115 ES
Hp 17Bii (Business calculator, NO TRIG, but has solver with 32 K of RAM and is OS selectable RPN or algebraic (chain logic)).

Likes meBigGuy and Greg Bernhardt
The smartest, most efficient engineers, use the HP 48. They don't make them anymore, so if you want a new calculator, you are going to have to get an hp 50g

I've got a ti-89, ti has a book for ee applications, as well as the ti-89 for dummies, also got a fx-115 for quick calculations. get both of those is my suggestion.

1. What makes a calculator the "best" in the world?

The best calculator in the world is subjective and can vary depending on individual needs and preferences. Some may prioritize accuracy, while others may value ease of use or advanced features. Ultimately, the best calculator should meet your specific needs and perform calculations accurately and efficiently.

2. Are there any specific brands or models that are considered the best calculators in the world?

There are several well-known brands that produce high-quality calculators, such as Texas Instruments, Casio, and HP. However, the best calculator for you may not necessarily be the most well-known brand or model. It is important to consider your specific needs and research different options before determining the best calculator for you.

3. What features should I look for in a calculator to determine if it is the best in the world?

Some important features to consider when determining the best calculator for your needs may include accuracy, ease of use, durability, battery life, and available functions. It is also helpful to read reviews and compare different models to see which features are most important to you.

4. Is there a difference between a scientific calculator and a graphing calculator in terms of being the best in the world?

Both scientific and graphing calculators have their own unique features and can be considered the best in the world depending on individual needs. Scientific calculators are designed for more complex calculations, while graphing calculators can also display graphs and equations. It is important to consider your specific needs and intended use when choosing between a scientific or graphing calculator.

5. How much should I expect to spend on the best calculator in the world?

The price of a calculator does not necessarily determine its quality or effectiveness. While some high-end calculators may have advanced features and a higher price tag, there are also affordable options that can perform basic calculations accurately. It is important to consider your budget and specific needs when determining the best calculator for you.