A photon absorption/emission by an atom

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of photon absorption and emission by an atom, specifically in relation to Bohr's model. The conversation mentions that when an electron absorbs energy, it jumps to a higher energy state and then falls back down to a lower energy state after some time. The cause of this process is inherent instability and there is no known mechanism for it. The conversation also touches on the relationship between photon energy and electron energy states, as well as the band gap and its effect on the energy levels of an electron.
-SJ-
Hello,

I am wondering about a photon absorption/emission by an atom.
We have been told at the university an electron is excited up in Bohr's model if an atom absorbs an energy in a form of photon. What cause an electron release an energy and falls down in Bohr's model? Does not an atom absorbs a photon in case of it doesn't have enough energy to cross a band gap?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
When an electron absorbs energy, either by a photon or by other means such as a collision with another particle, it jumps to a higher energy state, as you know. But, this higher energy state is unstable, and after some amount of time the electron falls from the higher energy state to a lower one. It doesn't necessarily fall all the way back to the lowest energy state, as it can fall into several lower energy states if there are any available, but the key here is that this process is inherent. There's no known "mechanism" that causes this other than this inherent instability. It falls to a lower energy level simply because it can. (At least as far as I understand it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Unfortunately I don't understand the last part of your post.

Drakkith said:
But, this higher energy state is unstable, and after some amount of time the electron falls from the higher energy state to a lower one.
That's another thing I would like to ask. Can be said how large amount of time in average this takes? I suppose it depends on a state orbital, is there any suitable equation?

Drakkith said:
Unfortunately I don't understand the last part of your post.
I am sorry for my english, I am still working on my improvement. What I had in my mind was if can electron absorbs an photon until the photon has enough energy to get electron on upwards state.
I was wondering about it since that time and I've hunted out from my memory an electron absorbs and emits an photon normally in terms of elastic collision. But I am not sure with this matter: if a band gap is e.g. 1.3eV wide and electron obtain energy of 1.4eV it be excited on higher energy state and emits a photon with energy of 0.2eV, right?

-SJ- said:
That's another thing I would like to ask. Can be said how large amount of time in average this takes? I suppose it depends on a state orbital, is there any suitable equation?

I think so, but I don't know the equation myself.

I am sorry for my english, I am still working on my improvement. What I had in my mind was if can electron absorbs an photon until the photon has enough energy to get electron on upwards state.
I was wondering about it since that time and I've hunted out from my memory an electron absorbs and emits an photon normally in terms of elastic collision. But I am not sure with this matter: if a band gap is e.g. 1.3eV wide and electron obtain energy of 1.4eV it be excited on higher energy state and emits a photon with energy of 0.2eV, right?

I'm still not quite sure what you're asking, but I'll try to answer.

First, realize that each photon is completely absorbed. You can't absorb half of a photon. So all of the photon's energy goes to the electron. Also, a single electron typically only absorbs one photon at a time. If the intensity of the light is very high there is a small chance that it can absorb more than one at a time, however, but this is rare.

If the electron requires 1.3 eV to jump to a specific energy state, then absorbing 1.4 eV will send it to a higher energy state, if one is available. The band gap typically refers to an area where no states exist, but there may or may not be plenty of states higher than the bandgap that would allow a wide range of electron energies.

Thank you for the answer. I think I can understand now. Thanks a lot.

1. What is photon absorption and emission?

Photon absorption and emission are two processes that involve the interaction of light (photons) with atoms. Photon absorption occurs when an atom absorbs a photon, increasing its energy level, while photon emission occurs when an atom releases a photon, decreasing its energy level.

2. How does an atom absorb a photon?

When a photon with the right amount of energy (equal to the difference in energy levels between the atom's current state and a higher energy state) interacts with an atom, it can be absorbed by the atom. This causes the electron in the atom to jump to a higher energy level.

3. What happens when an atom emits a photon?

When an atom emits a photon, it means that the electron in the atom has moved from a higher energy level to a lower energy level. This release of energy in the form of a photon is what we see as light.

4. How is the energy of a photon related to the energy levels of an atom?

The energy of a photon is directly related to the energy difference between the two energy levels of an atom. This means that the energy of a photon absorbed or emitted by an atom is equal to the difference in energy between the atom's initial and final energy levels.

5. Can an atom absorb or emit multiple photons?

Yes, an atom can absorb or emit multiple photons depending on its energy level and the energy of the photons it interacts with. However, each photon is absorbed or emitted one at a time, and the total energy absorbed or emitted is equal to the sum of the energies of all the individual photons.