Determination of atomic bases in unit cell using Wien2k

In summary, when using Wien2k, the convention is to specify XYZ coordinates in units of the primitive vectors a, b, and c. To confirm this, a small, primitive low-symmetry cell can be used to calculate results and check if doubling a lattice parameter and adding a basis still yields the same results. If not, it means the convention is not being followed correctly.
hokhani
After specifying the primitive vectors of a structure namely (a,b,c) in Wien2k, one has to specify locations of atoms in unit cell.There are three components X,Y,Z which determine the atom location. I want to know whether "X,Y,Z components" are corresponding to vectors a,b,c or they are components of the cartesian system? In other words If we have a typical (X,Y,Z), dose it means that atom location is r=Xa/a+Yb/b+Zc/c or r=Xi/a+Yj/b+Zk/c?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

I don't know Wien2k, but the usual convention is to specify XYZ in units of the unit cell vectors abc.

An easy way to check is to use a small, primitive low-symmetry cell, calculate whatever you calculate, and then to double a lattice parameter and add a basis e.g. at (1/2,0,0) for a-->2a. The result should be the same.

If not, you are not using the correct convention.

M Quack said:
I don't know Wien2k, but the usual convention is to specify XYZ in units of the unit cell vectors abc.

An easy way to check is to use a small, primitive low-symmetry cell, calculate whatever you calculate, and then to double a lattice parameter and add a basis e.g. at (1/2,0,0) for a-->2a. The result should be the same.

If not, you are not using the correct convention.

Yes. you are right. I found that XYZ are in units of abc.

1. What is Wien2k?

Wien2k is a computer program used for performing electronic structure calculations on crystalline materials.

2. How does Wien2k determine atomic bases in a unit cell?

Wien2k uses the full potential linearized augmented plane wave (FP-LAPW) method to determine the atomic bases in a unit cell. This method takes into account the full potential of the crystal lattice and uses a combination of plane waves and augmented waves to accurately represent the electronic structure of the material.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of Wien2k's determination of atomic bases?

The accuracy of Wien2k's determination of atomic bases can be affected by several factors, including the choice of exchange-correlation functional, the size of the basis set, and the quality of the crystal structure input.

4. Can Wien2k be used for all types of materials?

Wien2k is designed to work with crystalline materials, so it is not suitable for amorphous or disordered materials. However, it can be used for a wide range of crystal structures, including metals, semiconductors, and insulators.

5. What are some applications of using Wien2k to determine atomic bases in a unit cell?

Wien2k is commonly used in materials science research to study the electronic and magnetic properties of materials, such as band structures, density of states, and magnetic moments. It is also used in the development of new materials for various applications in fields such as electronics, energy storage, and catalysis.