Calculating Velocity and Time Using Newton's Second Law

In summary, the sled's original velocity was 6.0 kg/s and it moved 10 meters. A force of 36 N was applied to the sled, which increased its velocity to 2.0 x while it moved 10 meters.
A sled of 6.0 kg mass is moving along a smooth, horizontal ice surface with a velocity of X. A force of 36N is applied to the sled in its direction of motion, increasing its velocity to 2X while it moves 10m. Find the sled's original velocity, x. And the length of time that the force acted.

Smooth surface means frictionless, and the answers should be 6.3m/s and 1.1 sec respectively. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are the eqs that you would use
f =ma
Vf= Vi +at
d= Vi(t) + .5a(t^2)

is there a way to solve it w/o d= Vi(t) + .5a(t^2)?

Our teacher forbid us to use it. We can only use the basic ones like a=delta v/ delta t, v average = delta d / delta t.

Why don't you tell us what you think so we can tell you what we think of what you think.

what whozum said, you have to show us your work for us to figure out what you did wrong or right. It would be unfair if we just gave you the answer, but those eqs work as well.

Well there's like 20 questions in total, this is the only one out of the bunch I didn't get. I tried to average velocity formula

like...

I found acceleration is 6 m/s^2, by using 36N/6kg

v average = (x + 2x)/2 So velocity average is 1.5x, and I put it back into the velocity average = d / t formula, since i know d, I found t to be 6.67 s, then plugged it into the acceleration formula, 6 = delta v / 6.67 (time) and basically the embarrassing result is nothing close to the answer...

That was only the first part, never tried to find time as this answer is not correct.

Do you knwo the equation for final velocity without knowing time? It involves just acceleration distance and velocity.

Your acceleration is correct.
t=6.67 s is not correct
So you put 1.5x = 10/t and got t= 6.67s where from?
You have two variables therefore t= 10/(1.5x)
now plug that t into your acceleration formula and you will get your speed.

Well we are forbiden to use those equations, only the simple ones.

And I did plug it in, the variables simpled canceled out for me. I tried 6 = (2x-x)/t
t=(2x-x)/6 so i set that equal to (2x-x)/6 = 10/1.5x... (I'm still working at the question though...)

(2x-x)/6 = 10/1.5x is the right eq. just a matter of algebra now.

If I'm not mistaken, that comes to

x/6 = 10/1.5x

The x's would cancel...

Nope, multiply both sides by 1.5x

Lol...Oh jeeze. My bad, I don't know what gotten over me, SO obvious, yet I somehow missed it.

EDIT: Got both answers now, thanks guys.

What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's second law states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How did Newton develop his laws?

Newton developed his laws of motion through observations and experiments, as well as building upon the work of other scientists such as Galileo and Kepler.

Are Newton's laws still applicable today?

Yes, Newton's laws of motion are still applicable today and are used to explain and predict the behavior of objects in motion.

Are there any exceptions to Newton's laws?

While Newton's laws hold true in most situations, there are some exceptions such as when objects are moving at speeds close to the speed of light or in extreme gravitational fields.

How do Newton's laws relate to each other?

Newton's laws are interconnected and build upon each other. The first law explains the concept of inertia, the second law explains how forces affect the motion of an object, and the third law explains the relationship between action and reaction forces.