Consequences of Not Paying Your Bills: A Story

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about dealing with difficult customers who do not want to pay their bills. The speakers shared their experiences with small companies avoiding payment and the tactics they use to get paid, such as threatening with collections or putting accounts on COD. They also talked about the frustration of dealing with aged accounts and the lack of action from higher-ups. One of the speakers works in systems integration and industrial automation, while another shared a story about a customer who only pays when someone confronts them in person.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm just sitting here steaming a bit while considering what to do with a customer of mine. It's always the small timers who don't want to pay their bills. Its funny really, I once had a customer, a large company, that owed me over $30,000; and all on a handshake! But the little guys tend to be really snakey. After saving this guys butt, and I mean big time, and after giving him tremendous breaks on the price, nearly 50% off, and just because he was in trouble, now he's trying to ignore the bill. What he doesn't know is that his customer already promised to pay me and deduct it from his bill from my customer, if needed. :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
I know exactly what you mean Ivan, although in my situation it's my company that gets the stiff. Currently, I do the accounts receivables, so I am the lucky one to call customers to get payment from them if they go over the 30 day grace period terms. It usually is the small companies trying to avoid paying what they owe for product or services. When I mention the magic word "collections", I usually get a check promptly. Once a customer has pushed me to this point, I put their account on COD so they have to pay for their product/services at the time they receive them.

GEEZ! Don't get me started! 60-75% of our invoices are $2.00 and below and the FOIA says we can't make anyone pre-pay for having not paid in the past. I have invoices that are 4 years old and no one has the guts to write them off. On the other hand, most of those invoices are probably from people that have gone to their reward by now. Still, it boils my peanuts to know that no one has the sand to wipe the 180 plus file. If they did my "aged accounts" would be cut by three fourths.

When I worked for my dad, we started giving people an incentive (Marks & Spencer voucher, or whatever) for paying early. Seemed to do the trick, although we once had a Solicitor client of ours go bankrupt on us!

What do you do ivan? :D

I worked for a ma and pa shop right out of college. They were notorious for not paying bills until someone threatened them. It made life so much easier for us slugs that had to try to deal with them on a day to day basis.

Pengwuino said:
What do you do ivan? :D

I do systems integration and industrial automation; consulting, programming, engineering.

I worked for a ma and pa shop right out of college. They were notorious for not paying bills until someone threatened them

There is a guy like this who owns a company in the Portland area. A business associate had done some work and wasn't getting paid. When he finally went into the office and talked with the owner, the guy pulled out a stack of checks already cut for the vendors which included the late payment for my associate. It turns out that this customer doesn't pay until someone stands in front of him and demands payment. This is a case where the customer is so big that even the largest suppliers put up with the abuse.

Last edited:

What are the consequences of not paying your bills?

The consequences of not paying your bills can vary depending on the type of bill and the amount owed. Some common consequences include late fees, interest charges, and negative marks on your credit report. In extreme cases, not paying your bills can lead to legal action, such as wage garnishment or repossession of assets.

How does not paying your bills affect your credit score?

Not paying your bills on time can have a negative impact on your credit score. This is because payment history is a key factor in determining your credit score. If you consistently miss payments or have accounts sent to collections, it can significantly lower your credit score and make it harder for you to get approved for loans or credit in the future.

What happens if you ignore your bills?

If you ignore your bills, they will not go away. In fact, ignoring your bills can make the situation worse as late fees and interest charges continue to accrue. Eventually, your accounts may be sent to collections or legal action may be taken against you. It is important to address your bills and communicate with your creditors if you are having trouble making payments.

Can not paying your bills affect your ability to get credit in the future?

Yes, not paying your bills can have a long-term impact on your ability to get credit in the future. As mentioned earlier, late payments and accounts sent to collections can significantly lower your credit score. This can make it difficult for you to get approved for loans, credit cards, or even a mortgage. It is important to maintain a good payment history to ensure your creditworthiness.

What steps can be taken to address not paying your bills?

If you are struggling to pay your bills, it is important to take action as soon as possible. You can start by creating a budget and cutting back on unnecessary expenses. It may also be helpful to contact your creditors and explain your situation. They may be able to offer temporary payment arrangements or other options to help you get back on track. Seeking the advice of a financial counselor or credit counselor can also be beneficial in addressing your bills.