Chemical Engineer Major: Math vs Chemistry for Employment

In summary, a Chemical Engineering major with a focus on math will have a greater emphasis on mathematical concepts and applications, while a focus on chemistry will have a heavier emphasis on fundamental chemistry principles in the field of engineering. Both majors can lead to employment in the field of Chemical Engineering, with demand varying depending on industry and location. While certain industries may require a strong mathematical background, both majors can be employed in a variety of fields. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, and strong mathematical and analytical skills are important for all Chemical Engineering majors, along with a solid understanding of chemistry principles and their applications in engineering.
JoshHolloway
Hello all. I am currently in my first year of a chemical engineering program and I was talking to someone in the Chemical Engineering section of this forum and he said that partial differential equations is very important for Chem E's. He actually said that I should not even thing about graduating without taking this class. He made it sound EXTREMELY important. Well, my question is whether or not such a high level of mathematics is nessesary for a chemical engineer. Would I really use partial differential equations in the field?
I am only required to take ordinary differential equations, but I am pretty sure that I am also going to take linear algebra. That is as far as I planned on going with the math, but this guy made higher level mathematics sound so important to Chem E's I am considering going all the way to partial differential equations. The thing about this is that intermediate differential equations is a pre req for partial. That means that I would be one class shy of a mathematics minor if I did this (Ordinary DiffE, Intermediate DiffE, then Paritial DiffE). If I were to take those classes I would probably go ahead and take Introduction to Mathematic Modelling just to get the minor.
Do you guys think it would be wise to do this, or do you think that it would be smarter to minor in Chemistry. I could take Physcial Chem 2, BioChem 1 and 2, Inorganic Chem 1 and maybee Inorganic Chem 2, all of which I am not required to take. It seems to me that taking the extra classes in the area of chemistry would make me more hireable as oppose to taking extra classes in mathematics. Do you guys think I would be more employable by minoring in mathematics, or minoring in chemistry?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

As a scientist with experience in the field of chemical engineering, I can assure you that partial differential equations (PDEs) are indeed very important in this field. PDEs are used to model and solve complex systems and processes in chemical engineering, such as fluid flow, heat transfer, and reaction kinetics. They are essential tools for understanding and optimizing chemical processes.

In my opinion, it would be beneficial for you to take the PDEs class and minor in mathematics, as it will provide you with a strong foundation in mathematical modeling and problem-solving skills that are highly valued in the industry. Additionally, having a minor in mathematics can make you stand out among other job applicants and give you a competitive edge in the job market.

However, I also understand your concern about the practical applications of higher-level mathematics in the field of chemical engineering. If you are interested in pursuing a career in a specific area of chemistry, such as physical chemistry or biochemistry, then minoring in chemistry may also be a good option for you. It will give you a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and processes in these fields, which can be useful in certain chemical engineering roles.

Ultimately, the decision to minor in mathematics or chemistry should depend on your interests and career goals. It is important to have a well-rounded education and a strong foundation in both math and chemistry. If possible, I would recommend taking courses in both areas to gain a broader understanding of the field and to keep your options open for future career opportunities.

Best of luck in your studies and future career in chemical engineering.

I would say that both math and chemistry are important for a chemical engineer. While it is true that partial differential equations are used in many areas of chemical engineering, it is also important to have a strong understanding of chemistry principles and concepts. Both math and chemistry are essential for problem-solving and critical thinking in this field.

I would suggest considering what your career goals are and what type of job you are interested in pursuing after graduation. If you are interested in more research-oriented positions, a minor in chemistry could be beneficial. On the other hand, if you are interested in more technical or engineering roles, a minor in mathematics may be more valuable.

It is also worth considering that many employers value well-rounded individuals with a diverse skill set. If you have the time and resources, pursuing a minor in both math and chemistry could make you stand out to potential employers.

Ultimately, it is important to choose a minor that aligns with your interests and goals. Both math and chemistry are important for a chemical engineer, so it may be beneficial to take a few classes in each area to gain a well-rounded understanding.

What is the difference between a Chemical Engineering major with a focus on math versus one with a focus on chemistry?

A Chemical Engineering major with a focus on math will have a heavier emphasis on mathematical concepts and applications in the field of chemical engineering, while a focus on chemistry will have a greater emphasis on the fundamentals of chemistry and its applications in engineering. Both majors may cover similar topics, but the approach and depth of understanding may differ.

Which major is more employable, math or chemistry-focused Chemical Engineering?

Both majors can lead to employment in the field of Chemical Engineering. However, the demand for chemical engineers may vary depending on the industry and location. It is recommended to research the job market and industry trends to determine which major may be more in demand in your desired field or location.

Are there specific industries that prefer a math-focused Chemical Engineering major over a chemistry-focused one?

There may be industries that require a strong mathematical background, such as the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry, where precise calculations and modeling are crucial. In general, both majors can be employed in a variety of industries, so it is important to research the specific requirements of the industry you are interested in.

Can a Chemical Engineering major with a focus on math still work in a chemistry-related job?

Yes, a Chemical Engineering major with a focus on math still covers fundamental chemistry concepts and applications, making them well-equipped for chemistry-related jobs. Additionally, many employers value strong mathematical skills and problem-solving abilities, which are emphasized in a math-focused Chemical Engineering program.

What skills are important for a Chemical Engineering major, regardless of focus?

Important skills for a Chemical Engineering major include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, strong mathematical and analytical skills, and the ability to work collaboratively in a team. Regardless of focus, a solid understanding of chemistry principles and their applications in engineering is also essential.