How do one reduce the pressure?

• Thread starter hanson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary: There are a few good manufacturers of low-pressure regulators, but I would recommend looking into Fischer. They have a wide range of adjustable regulators that would fit your needs.If you need to reduce the pressure to a specific level, you could try using a throttling valve. These devices restrict the flow of a liquid or gas, and can be used to reduce the pressure of an application. They are typically designed for low-pressure applications, but can be used in series if the requirements are greater than the capacity of one device.
hanson
Hi all.
I have a air pressure supply of 4 bar and I need to reduce it to say a few thousands Pa.
What I have now is a pressure regulator that can reduce the pressure to 0.1 bar, but I need a even smaller pressure.
Is there any device that I can use?
I heard something called throttle valve? is it something I can use?
It reduces pressure by percentage or to a certain level?
Please kindly help. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A throttling valve doesn't reduce pressure, it is simply a restriction in the line. It will serve the purpose of reducing pressure if the flow rate is constant, upstream pressure is constant, and there is some inherent feature in the system which compensates for minor variations in flow. Without knowing what your system looks like however, it's best not to speculate on whether or not a throttling valve would work.

There are many manufacturers of very low pressure regulators. I'd suggest looking into Fischer to start.
http://www.fisherregulators.com/

You should also do a search on www.globalspec.com based on your specific requirements to see if anything turns up.

Would running a couple of regulators in series do it?

Danger said:
Would running a couple of regulators in series do it?

No, it has to be designed for low pressure applications.

CS

Sorry, then, pal. I know nothing about this; I was just throwing in my 2 cents. Times like this, I really wish that I had an education.

He's only trying to reduce 50 psi to around 0.5 psi, so 2 regulators in series wouldn't really be necessary. I did a search on GlobalSpec and found many regulators that have adjustment ranges similar to the OP.

Depending on the fluid and the flowrates, there are indeed a lot of vendors that make applicable regulators. If it is a relatively low airflow requirement (when compared to large industrial applications), look at someone like Fairchild regulators or, for a more expensive but very nice regulator, look at Tescom.

Actually a throttle valve may work if you need to fill a vessel up to a specific pressure and the regulators output pressure is to high you can slow the fill rate down and more accurately fill your application. you will need a separate pressure transducer downstream of the throttle valve probably about 0-100 torr. The fact that you need sub-atmospheric pressures makes me believe you are probably not dealing with a continuous flow device.

http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_products_home.aspx?SEARCH=/id-10000277/type-1" makes good products just don't use the brass ones!

Last edited by a moderator:
also take look to parker products. similar to swagelok

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:

What is pressure and why is it important to reduce?

Pressure is defined as the force applied per unit area. It is important to reduce pressure because high levels of pressure can cause damage or harm to certain materials or organisms.

What are some common methods for reducing pressure?

There are several methods for reducing pressure, such as increasing the surface area, decreasing the force applied, or increasing the volume of a system.

What are some practical applications of reducing pressure?

Reducing pressure can be useful in various situations, such as in scuba diving to prevent decompression sickness, in engineering to prevent structural failure, or in medical procedures to alleviate pain and discomfort.

How do environmental factors affect pressure?

The environmental factors, such as temperature and altitude, can affect pressure by altering the air density and subsequently changing the force applied per unit area.

What precautions should be taken when reducing pressure?

When reducing pressure, it is important to carefully monitor and control the changes to prevent sudden drops or increases in pressure, which can be dangerous for both humans and equipment.