Why does Isotropy of L imply L(v^2)?

• Thread starter john8197
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of isotropy in space and how it relates to the Lagrangian in mechanics. The Lagrangian must be independent of the direction of velocity and only depend on its magnitude, which can be represented as v(bold)^2 = v(italic)^2. A suggestion is made to convert the vector velocity into a scalar by taking its magnitude, but it is noted that there may be other ways to do so. One person recommends against reading the book mentioned, while the other person defends it as a concise and intuitive resource on mechanics.
john8197
I'm reading the first edition of Mechanics by Landau et al, published in 1960. Just before equation 3.1 on page 5 it says exactly this:

"Since space is isotropic, the Lagrangian must also be independent of the direction of v, and is therefore a function only of it's magnitude, i.e. of v(bold)^2 = v(italic)^2:

L = L(v(italic)^2) (3.1)"

This seems very cryptic to me since the magnitude is sqrt(v(bold)^2) =
v(italic).
Could someone fill in the missing details for me please?

Funky

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't read that book!

Clearly the lagrangian has to depend on the velocity somehow. Then you notice that the Lagrangian is a scalar, yet the velocity is a vector. There is only one way of converting a vector into a scalar that will be the same in all coordinate systems (which it has to be by definition): take its magnitude.

If you want to be nitpicky, then you could say v->a|v|+b, where a and b are constants, but generalization doesn't matter (you should check this).

salsero said:
Don't read that book!

Why not? I've been using it for a couple of weeks now, and it's one of the nicest books on Mechanics I've ever read. It's brief, but to the point, and appeals the physical intuition without blurring the mathematical side of the story.

1. What is the meaning of isotropy in relation to L(v^2)?

Isotropy refers to the property of being directionally independent. In the context of L(v^2), it means that the magnitude of the velocity vector, represented by v, does not change when the direction of the vector is changed.

2. Why does isotropy of L imply L(v^2)?

If L is isotropic, it means that the value of L does not change when the direction of v is changed. Since L is a function of v and its magnitude (v^2), if the direction of v does not affect the value of L, then it must also be true for the magnitude of v, which is v^2. Therefore, isotropy of L implies L(v^2).

3. How can isotropy of L be demonstrated mathematically?

Isotropy of L can be demonstrated mathematically by showing that for any two vectors v and u, with the same magnitude (v^2 = u^2), the value of L is the same regardless of the direction of the vectors. This can be written as L(v^2) = L(u^2).

4. Is isotropy of L a necessary condition for L(v^2) to hold?

Yes, isotropy of L is a necessary condition for L(v^2) to hold. If L is not isotropic, then the value of L will change when the direction of v is changed, which means that the magnitude of v (v^2) will also change. Therefore, L(v^2) cannot hold if L is not isotropic.

5. How does isotropy of L relate to the laws of physics?

Isotropy of L is closely related to the fundamental laws of physics, such as the law of conservation of energy and the principle of relativity. These laws rely on the concept of isotropy to hold true, as they state that the laws of physics should be the same regardless of the direction in which they are observed. Therefore, isotropy of L is a crucial concept in understanding and applying the laws of physics.