What do you think of psychologists? was locked.

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary, psychologists are experts in understanding and treating mental illness. They can also provide guidance on how to cope with difficult situations. Some people may find their advice offensive, and some may find it helpful. However, psychologists are not responsible for the actions of their clients.
Jimmy Snyder
"What do you think of psychologists?" was locked.

Are you going to lock all of the threads that are two years old, or just the ones that generate renewed interest?

Physics news on Phys.org

Just the ones that start taking what was initially a joke as something far too serious when the people who originally participated in the thread are no longer around to defend their answers.

Moonbear said:
Just the ones that start taking what was initially a joke as something far too serious when the people who originally participated in the thread are no longer around to defend their answers.

I was told that my post had nothing to do with the locking of that thread, yet it seems to have been locked as I guessed it might right after I did so. Yes my response was serious and there have been plenty of threads that began light and went deeply. Before posting this morning I gave my response a great deal of thought and looked up the person I was responding to. she was last at the board:
physics girl phd Offline:
Last Activity: 06.20.08 23:52
That would not have made her long gone. Busy perhaps.
I even emailed her.
I think there is more going on here than what you are stating regarding this.
I use to love PF.
I reserve comments now.
It is very different since SelfAdjoint was here.
There does not seem to be any honest control. And yes I have kept all the threads and emails from the mentors that punished me and the inconsistency in these emails, though they are chopped up not to show such.
I am so sorry, but I was told I should have read the rule before breaking them.
I do believe you have different rule for different people.
I never wanted to fight or argue, only participate. But I know how many people are tip toeing around this board afraid to say or do anything because of what has been referred to as abuse of power by a bunch of mentors who are no one special, just people who have some time to spend here. Self Adjoint was a real mentor. He studied and followed through. He was a Real teacher. He thought things though carefully and was mostly fair.
S

I always find it interesting when one person participating in a locked thread decides they are the one to blame for the whole thread being locked. Here's the general way it works...if ONE post is the problem in an otherwise reasonable thread, we delete the one post (sometimes with just a warning notifying why there's a problem, sometimes with an infraction, all depending on how bad that one post was). If the thread as a whole has drifted into a direction that is unsuitable for PF, it gets closed, with no one person being held responsible. This will happen often with older threads that get dredged up, because old threads are not necessarily consistent with current guidelines (they are NOT the same as they were 2 years ago, we've been consistently raising the standards for posts here). Or, sometimes a topic that just should have been locked back then but just drifted away gets dragged back up, and we lock it when it resurfaces.

If a lot of posts in a thread are problematic, and it's too difficult to delete a few offending ones, and they are bad enough that they should not remain visible, then the entire thread may get deleted. When individuals are identifiable as being part of a problem and violating forum guidelines, they get infractions. We do not discuss any member's infractions with any other member.

Our guidelines are clear, and we enforce them. It's really that simple. And if that means people are not saying certain things because they would violate the guidelines, then that probably means the guidelines are working. People SHOULD think twice before posting, whether it be about the science they are discussing or their attitude toward other people. If they are doing that, then the guidelines are working.

Moonbear said:
If the thread as a whole has drifted into a direction that is unsuitable for PF, it gets closed, with no one person being held responsible.

I'm a little unclear on the "unsuitable for PF" thing please.
Discussing the likelihood that a therapist would teach a client how to be mean or domestic violence or toilet paper and imaginary friends?

Respectfully of course,
S

Shoshana said:
I'm a little unclear on the "unsuitable for PF" thing please.
Discussing the likelihood that a therapist would teach a client how to be mean or domestic violence or toilet paper and imaginary friends?

Respectfully of course,
S

Please read my above post in its entirety and in context. I have provided an overview of a range of options for moderation decisions. I'm not addressing specific ones here, and this is NOT going to be a continuation of the locked thread.

Moonbear said:
Please read my above post in its entirety and in context. I have provided an overview of a range of options for moderation decisions. I'm not addressing specific ones here, and this is NOT going to be a continuation of the locked thread.

Do you think I did NOT read your entire post?
I won't continue. I see that you need to make a point here.
I hope you have.
S

1. What do psychologists actually do?

Psychologists study the human mind and behavior, using scientific methods to better understand how people think, feel, and behave. They also use this knowledge to help people address psychological issues and improve their mental health.

2. Are psychologists just like therapists?

While some psychologists do work as therapists, not all psychologists are therapists. Psychologists can also work in research, teaching, and other areas related to psychology.

3. Can psychologists prescribe medication?

In most cases, psychologists cannot prescribe medication. Only psychiatrists, who are medical doctors, have the ability to prescribe medication for mental health conditions.

4. How do psychologists differ from psychiatrists?

Psychologists and psychiatrists both work in the field of mental health, but their approaches and training differ. Psychologists typically focus on talk therapy and use psychological techniques to help clients, while psychiatrists can prescribe medication in addition to therapy.

5. Is seeing a psychologist a sign of weakness?

No, seeking help from a psychologist is not a sign of weakness. In fact, it takes courage and strength to acknowledge that you may need help and to take steps to improve your mental health.