Solving Problems Playing .cda Format Songs

• Thread starter swty todd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Format
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of playing a .cda file and converting it to an MP3 format. It is mentioned that .cda files are representations of CD audio tracks and do not contain the actual audio information. It is suggested to use a .cda to MP3 converter or to rip the CD using a program like Windows Media Player. It is also clarified that in order to convert a .cda file to MP3, the original CD is needed and simply copying the file will not work.
swty todd
Can anyone tell me how to play this song which is in .cda format.
i copied the song from the net and i burned it on a cd but its still not playing from the cd.

Computer science news on Phys.org
doesnt work...!

I thought that .cda files were the raw files that would be copied off of a disk; not actually ripped. If that's the case, then your SOL.

Check the size, if its smaller than it should be, then chances are its the copied file off of a disk.

edit: I think I was right, see below
CD Audio (.cda) tracks are audio files that can be stored on CD media. The .cda files are representations of CD audio tracks and do not contain the actual pulse code modulation (PCM) information.

Yes the files are small like 12 kB when they should be about 3MB or so.
any idea what am i supposed to do with a .cda file?

Select => Delete

they're useless by themselves

okay...

sorry for hijacking the topic,
I have a .cda files on my CD, and they work; but I want the songs to work on my MP3 player, so how do I get the actual MP3 songs?

how about .cda to mp3 converter?

Actually I didn`t think of it as these .cda files are only representations (as minger said); but I googled it and found programs to do it; thank you :)

I have a .cda files on my CD, and they work; but I want the songs to work on my MP3 player, so how do I get the actual MP3 songs?
You need the original CD, and you need to rip it.

Again, you need the background information. Converting CD data to mp3 is called ripping; you need the CD.

Think of .cda files as hyperlinks which link to the actual songs themselves. If all you have are those files, then you cannot convert it to a mp3.

In order to convert, you need to rip (not copy) a CD. This can be done with any number of programs, the easiest and most common simply being Windows Media Player. Insert CD, click the Rip button, and click start.

1. How do I convert .cda format songs to a playable format?

To convert .cda format songs to a playable format, you will need to use a media conversion software. There are many options available online, some for free and others for purchase. Simply search for "cda to mp3 converter" or a similar phrase to find the best option for your needs.

2. Why are my .cda format songs not playing?

.cda format songs are not actual audio files, but rather shortcuts to the tracks on a CD. Therefore, they cannot be played on their own. To play .cda format songs, you will need to insert the corresponding CD into your computer's CD drive, or use a media player that can read CDs.

3. Can I play .cda format songs on my mobile device?

No, .cda format songs cannot be played on mobile devices as they are not actual audio files. You will need to convert them to a playable format before transferring them to your mobile device.

4. How do I troubleshoot playback issues with .cda format songs?

If you are experiencing playback issues with .cda format songs, try cleaning the CD or disc drive, updating your media player, or converting the songs to a playable format. If the issue persists, it may be a problem with the CD itself.

5. Are there any alternative ways to play .cda format songs without converting them?

No, .cda format songs can only be played by using the CD they are associated with. If you do not have the corresponding CD, you will need to convert the songs to a playable format in order to listen to them.