Doubt about differential Gauss's law

In summary, the Gauss's law expressed in the differential form states that the divergence of the electric field vector E is equal to the total charge density, which includes all contributions from free and bound charges. The divergence is a measure of the flux density at a given point in space, representing how the field is being "generated" at that point. The charge density is a function of position, and the total charge is found by integrating the charge density over a volume.
Taturana
We know that the Gauss's law expressed in the differential form is:

[tex]\mathbf{\nabla}\cdot\mathbf{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}[/tex],

right?

I read at wikipedia that [tex]\rho[/tex] is: the total charge density including dipole charges bound in a material.

I don't understand...

The left side of equation is the divergence of the field vector E (electric field), right?

The divergence is the measure of the flux density at a given point in space (so it's a function of x,y,z considering 3D), right?

So the flux density at any point in the electric field will be different (unless we have uniform field), because in some regions the field lines are more (convergent? next, near, you got it) and in other regions the field lines are more separate, right?

The the right side of the equation is a constant. It is the total charge density divided by the permittivity... So this is telling me that the flux density is the same for ALL points in the space, isn't it?

Or is the density on the right side the density of the point I'm calculating he divergence?

Where am I wrong?

I appreciate the help,
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\rho[/itex] isn't the total charge. It is the charge density.

If you integrate both sides over a volume, and apply Stokes theorem, the total charge enclosed in the volume is related to the net flux through the surface of the volume. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergence_theorem

Bob S

Taturana said:
The divergence is the measure of the flux density at a given point in space

No, it's a measure of the flux that is "created" or "destroyed" at a point, rather than simply passing through it. You can have a very high flux density (field strength) at a point, with zero divergence.

Consider the electric field of a solid sphere with a uniform charge distribution. The electric field outside the sphere is just like the field of an ideal point charge located at the center of the sphere. The magnitude of the field decreases as 1/r^2 where r is the distance from the center of the sphere. But the divergence of the field is zero at all points outside the sphere, and so is the charge density.

Inside the sphere the magnitude of the field increases linearly with r, reaching a maximum at the surface of the sphere. But the divergence of the field has the same value at all points inside the sphere, just like the charge density.

Last edited:
jtbell said:
No, it's a measure of the flux that is "created" or "destroyed" at a point, rather than simply passing through it. You can have a very high flux density (field strength) at a point, with zero divergence.

Consider the electric field of a solid sphere with a uniform charge distribution. The electric field outside the sphere is just like the field of an ideal point charge located at the center of the sphere. The magnitude of the field decreases as 1/r^2 where r is the distance from the center of the sphere. But the divergence of the field is zero at all points outside the sphere, and so is the charge density.

Inside the sphere the magnitude of the field increases linearly with r, reaching a maximum at the surface of the sphere. But the divergence of the field has the same value at all points inside the sphere, just like the charge density.

quote from wikipedia: More technically, the divergence represents the volume density of the outward flux of a vector field from an infinitesimal volume around a given point.

It's the same to say that divergence represents the flux density around a given point, isn't it?

I don't know if I get it but then the divergence of a vector field at a point represents how is this contributing with the field "generation"? Could you explain-me it more clearly? (I know it became a mathematics question but I think someone can help me here...)

nicksauce said:
[itex]\rho[/itex] isn't the total charge. It is the charge density.

Yes, sorry, but the question stills the same...

Taturana said:
We know that the Gauss's law expressed in the differential form is:

Or is the density on the right side the density of the point I'm calculating he divergence?

Where am I wrong?

I appreciate the help,
Thank you

The charge density is a function of position, ro(x,y,z).
The word "total" here means that you add contributions from free charges, bound charges, etc. All these contributions are functions of position in general.
It does not mean total charge in a finite volume.
So the divergence of E at a given point depends on the charge density at that point.

1. What is differential Gauss's law?

Differential Gauss's law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the electric field to the charge distribution within a given region of space. It states that the net electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. How is differential Gauss's law different from integral Gauss's law?

Differential Gauss's law is a local form of Gauss's law, meaning it applies to a specific point or region in space. Integral Gauss's law, on the other hand, is a global form that applies to the entire charge distribution within a closed surface.

3. What is the significance of differential Gauss's law in electromagnetism?

Differential Gauss's law is a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of electric fields. It allows us to calculate the electric field at a specific point based on the charge distribution in that region.

4. How is differential Gauss's law applied in practical situations?

Differential Gauss's law is used in a variety of practical applications, including the design of electrical circuits, the calculation of electric potential in different regions, and the study of electric fields in various materials.

5. Can differential Gauss's law be used for non-uniform charge distributions?

Yes, differential Gauss's law can be applied to both uniform and non-uniform charge distributions. The only requirement is that the charge enclosed by the closed surface must be known or able to be calculated.