Calculate Total Capacitance: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, to calculate the total capacitance of a circuit with both series and parallel capacitors, add the parallel capacitors together first and then add the result in series to the remaining capacitor.
foode
Total Capacitance[SOLVED]

Homework Statement

how do i calculate the total capacitance of the image attached, as there is series and parallel capacitor in the same circuit

The Attempt at a Solution

i did try using 1/8uF + 8uF but then could not get the answer. can someone please help me through this. thanks

Attachments

• Picture0033.jpg
    Picture0033.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First add the 2 and the 6 microfard capacitors together in parallel.
Then when you have the value, add it in series to the other one.

Stonebridge said:
First add the 2 and the 6 microfard capacitors together in parallel.
Then when you have the value, add it in series to the other one.

omg i actually got the answer already but then miss out something. cheers

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electrical charge. It is measured in farads and represents the ratio of the amount of charge stored to the potential difference between the two conductors.

2. How do I calculate total capacitance?

To calculate total capacitance, you must add the individual capacitance values of all components in the circuit. If the components are in series, you can use the formula C_total = 1/(1/C1 + 1/C2 + ... + 1/Cn). If the components are in parallel, you can use the formula C_total = C1 + C2 + ... + Cn.

3. What is the unit of measurement for capacitance?

The unit of measurement for capacitance is farads (F). However, in practice, capacitors are often measured in microfarads (µF) or picofarads (pF).

4. How does capacitance affect the performance of a circuit?

Capacitance can affect the performance of a circuit in several ways. It can store and release energy, filter out unwanted frequencies, and create a phase shift between voltage and current. It can also introduce unwanted noise and affect the stability of the circuit.

5. What factors can affect the capacitance of a circuit?

The capacitance of a circuit can be affected by the size and shape of the conductors, the distance between them, and the type of material used. The dielectric material between the conductors can also affect capacitance, as well as the frequency of the AC signal passing through the circuit.