What do you call it when a ghost passes through you ?

• Medical
  • Thread starter nhmllr
  • Start date
In summary: Sounds like you just need some rest. Sometimes when you're really tired, your body just can't handle the energy expenditure and it gives you this weird feeling. Sorry if it was scary! It's not really dangerous, just a little weird.Thank you for the explanation!I'm not sure what you mean by "energy expenditure." Can you elaborate?I'm not sure what you mean by "energy expenditure." Can you elaborate?In summary, a ghost passes through you when you experience muscle fatigue. It can be spontaneous and unannounced, and is more neurological in nature.
nhmllr
What do you call it when "a ghost passes through you"?

There's this phenomenon that occurs to some people a handful of times in their life. My friends and I describe it as "a ghost passing through you."

Here's what happens: You're having a seemingly regular day, standing on your feet, and then all of a sudden, without warning, you get weird, small, quick spasms that last about one second, maybe less. Your knees might become weak and your could collapse a little, but rarely fall over. It's always kinda funny to watch it happen to someone else.

I can remember this happening to me three times, it could be more. I don't have any medical conditions, ADD, Epilepsy, etc. There doesn't seem to be a pattern as to when it happens. I know it can happen to other people and not just me.

What is this ACTUALLY called? What causes it?

Maybe you guys can shed some light on it. Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org

nhmllr said:
There's this phenomenon that occurs to some people a handful of times in their life. My friends and I describe it as "a ghost passing through you."

Here's what happens: You're having a seemingly regular day, standing on your feet, and then all of a sudden, without warning, you get weird, small, quick spasms that last about one second, maybe less. Your knees might become weak and your could collapse a little, but rarely fall over. It's always kinda funny to watch it happen to someone else.

I can remember this happening to me three times, it could be more. I don't have any medical conditions, ADD, Epilepsy, etc. There doesn't seem to be a pattern as to when it happens. I know it can happen to other people and not just me.

What is this ACTUALLY called? What causes it?

Maybe you guys can shed some light on it. Thanks!
Muscle fatigue?

Evo said:
Muscle fatigue?

Can it be spontaneous? I don't remember being tired when it happened. It just felt like all of a sudden my knees weren't supporting me and I couldn't do anything.

There have been times in my life when I have exercised a lot and experienced similar sensations. One time after some relatively intense exercise I walked my dog, and on the street I had this awful feeling that I was going to collapse right on the street. The feeling grew and dissipated over a period of about 30 seconds, but I barely held out and I felt fine afterwards.

The thing about the sensation I'm describing is that it's seemingly random and unannounced.

It seems to me to be more neurological than anything, because arms flail a little too, and you shudder. It's not so much fatigue as loss of control.

It doesn't really matter, I'm just curious.

heebiejeebies or cold chills?

nhmllr said:
Can it be spontaneous? I don't remember being tired when it happened. It just felt like all of a sudden my knees weren't supporting me and I couldn't do anything.

There have been times in my life when I have exercised a lot and experienced similar sensations. One time after some relatively intense exercise I walked my dog, and on the street I had this awful feeling that I was going to collapse right on the street. The feeling grew and dissipated over a period of about 30 seconds, but I barely held out and I felt fine afterwards.

The thing about the sensation I'm describing is that it's seemingly random and unannounced.

It seems to me to be more neurological than anything, because arms flail a little too, and you shudder. It's not so much fatigue as loss of control.
It could be neurological, a neurologist can run tests to check your muscles and nerve impulses.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/electromyography_emg/article_em.htm

Naw I don't think anything's wrong with me :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Glad you solved it.

What do you call it when a ghost passes through you?

The phenomenon of a ghost passing through a person is commonly referred to as "ghostly possession" or "spiritual possession".

Is ghostly possession a real occurrence?

There is no scientific evidence to support the existence of ghosts or spiritual possession. Many believe these experiences to be psychological or physiological in nature.

What are some possible explanations for the feeling of a ghost passing through you?

Some possible explanations for this sensation include sleep paralysis, hallucinations, or a medical condition such as temporal lobe epilepsy.

Are there any documented cases of ghostly possession?

While there are many stories and anecdotes about ghostly possession, there is no definitive evidence or documented cases that can be scientifically verified.

How can I protect myself from experiencing ghostly possession?

There is no guaranteed way to protect oneself from experiencing ghostly possession, but some people believe that practicing positive energy and having a strong sense of self can help prevent these experiences.