Structural Induction on Sets

In summary, the set T is defined recursively as containing only powers of 2. Using structural induction, we can prove that for any element x in T, there exists a natural number n such that x = 2n. This is because the recursion only allows us to obtain powers of 2 from existing elements in T. Therefore, all elements in T must be powers of 2.
thy
Consider the set T defined recursively as follows:

• 2∈T,

• if x∈T and x>1,then x/2 ∈T,

• if x∈T and x>1,then x^2 ∈T,

• T contains no other element.

Use Structural Induction to write a detailed, carefully structured proof that ∀ x ∈ T, ∃ n ∈ N, x = 2n.

I'm not sure how to do this proof.
I assume ∀ x ∈ T, ∃ n ∈ N, x = 2n is true and try to prove then x/2 ∈T and x^2 ∈T?

Physics news on Phys.org
thy said:
Consider the set T defined recursively as follows:

• 2∈T,

• if x∈T and x>1,then x/2 ∈T,

• if x∈T and x>1,then x^2 ∈T,

• T contains no other element.

Use Structural Induction to write a detailed, carefully structured proof that ∀ x ∈ T, ∃ n ∈ N, x = 2n.

I'm not sure how to do this proof.
I assume ∀ x ∈ T, ∃ n ∈ N, x = 2n is true and try to prove then x/2 ∈T and x^2 ∈T?

You just get powers of 2 from the recursion not any even number.

lavinia said:
You just get powers of 2 from the recursion not any even number.

substituting 2n into x? So it becomes (2n) ^2?
I don't really get it...

I find with inductions that looking at simple examples leas to the general argument.

So if 2 is in X then 1 is in X (2/2 = 1) so these are both powers of 2. The recursion only allows you to take these two numbers to get the next numbers. But 1 does not give any new numbers so we can forget about it and just look at 2. 2^2 is 4, another power of 2, and 4/2 = 2. So again you only have powers of 2. Form 4 you get 4^2, another power of 2, and dividing by 2 you get 8 and 4 and 2 again. This is the only thing that happens. Forn * and 16 you get more powers of two and so on.

lavinia said:
I find with inductions that looking at simple examples leas to the general argument.

So if 2 is in X then 1 is in X (2/2 = 1) so these are both powers of 2. The recursion only allows you to take these two numbers to get the next numbers. But 1 does not give any new numbers so we can forget about it and just look at 2. 2^2 is 4, another power of 2, and 4/2 = 2. So again you only have powers of 2. Form 4 you get 4^2, another power of 2, and dividing by 2 you get 8 and 4 and 2 again. This is the only thing that happens. Forn * and 16 you get more powers of two and so on.

thanks, it helps a lot

1. What is structural induction on sets?

Structural induction on sets is a proof technique used to prove statements about all elements in a set by breaking the set down into smaller subsets and proving the statement for each subset.

2. How does structural induction work?

Structural induction works by first proving the statement for the base cases, typically the empty set or singleton sets. Then, assuming the statement is true for all smaller subsets, it is proven true for a larger subset by using the induction hypothesis.

3. What are the benefits of using structural induction?

Structural induction allows for a more organized and systematic approach to proving statements about sets. It also eliminates the need to prove the statement for each element in the set individually, which can save time and effort.

4. Can structural induction be used for all types of sets?

Yes, structural induction can be used for all types of sets, including finite and infinite sets. However, the structure of the set must be well-defined in order for structural induction to be applicable.

5. Are there any limitations to using structural induction?

One limitation of structural induction is that it can only be used to prove statements that are true for all elements in a set. It cannot be used to prove statements that are only true for some elements in a set. Additionally, the structure of the set must be clearly defined in order for structural induction to be applicable.