C++ Programming for Beginners: A Guide for Engineering Students

In summary, the conversation is about the search for a good book on C++ programming for a beginner. The suggested book by the expert is "C++ Without Fear: A Beginner's Guide That Makes You Feel Smart". The course mentioned is focused on teaching basic programming concepts using C++ as the language, rather than solely teaching the language itself. Other recommended books for learning C++ include "Accelerated C++" by Koenig and Moo, "C++ Primer" by Lippman, Lajoie, and Moo, and "Programming -- Principles and Practice Using C++" by Stroustrup.
sandy.bridge
Hello all,
I am looking for an excellent book on C++ programming to read during the summer. I have never programmed before, so it would most definitely have to be at the calliber of a beginner. I'm looking for a book that begins with basics such as algorithms, pseucode and then the actual language itself.

Here is a course description of the class that I have to take next year:
CMPT 116 is an introductory Computer Science programming course intended for students majoring in Engineering. The purpose of the course is to introduce Engineering students to programming and related computing concepts such as data types, control structures, functions, libraries, simple data structures, recursion, arrays, and numerical analysis. The emphasis is on problem solving, algorithms, and programming concepts, with significant practical work. At the completion of the course, students will be able to use a computer to assist them in solving problems and produce associated documentation.

C++ is the language used throughout the course since it is particularly relevant to engineering applications. However, CMPT 116 is not a course for learning the C++ programming language per se; rather, it is meant to introduce basic programming concepts that form the foundation for more general problem solving and computation skills (using almost any programming language). Only those language constructs that are needed to present particular computer science and programming concepts are introduced.

Microsoft Visual C++ is the programming platform used for this course.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my 12+ years programming C++ I have only seen very few good beginning C++ books.

This book I cannot stress high enough after looking through it, it is simply outstanding for introducing C++ to the reader as a new programmer.

C++ Without Fear: A Beginner's Guide That Makes You Feel Smart

I've even thought about purchasing a copy for myself just because I like this book so well for introducing C++.

That's pretty cheap. Thanks for the suggestion! Does it go into detail as to the method of programming? As stated in the explanation above, C++ may be the language, but the class is more geared towards "basic programming concepts that form the foundation for more general problem solving and computation skills".

sandy.bridge said:
As stated in the explanation above, C++ may be the language, but the class is more geared towards "basic programming concepts that form the foundation for more general problem solving and computation skills".

It has exercises in every chapter do them and I am sure you will build your problem solving skills.

I wouldn't recommend C++ as a beginning programming language, but a good book for it is Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo.

I don't have a choice as to which language I learn first; this is a course that is required for my degree. I will, however, be learning a bit of Verilog within the next two weeks.

"Accelerated C++" by Andrew Koenig and Barbara E. Moo if you have programmed before // http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/

"C++ Primer" by Stanley B. Lippman, Josee Lajoie and Barbara E. Moo if you have NOT programmed before // http://www.pearsoned.co.in/web/books/9788131710777_C-Primer_Barbara-E-Moo.aspx

"Programming -- Principles and Practice Using C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup is also pretty good as an alternative to "C++ Primer" // http://www.stroustrup.com/Programming/

See also: http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-learn-cpp.html#faq-28.4

1. What is C++ Programming?

C++ Programming is a high-level, general purpose programming language that was developed in the 1980s. It is an extension of the C programming language and is widely used in developing operating systems, games, and other software applications.

2. Why is C++ Programming important for engineering students?

C++ Programming is important for engineering students because it allows them to develop efficient and complex programs that can be used in a variety of engineering fields. It also helps students to understand the fundamentals of programming and problem-solving, which are essential skills for any engineer.

3. What are the key features of C++ Programming?

C++ Programming has many key features, including object-oriented programming, memory management, and low-level manipulation of computer hardware. It also supports a wide range of data types and has a rich library of functions and operators.

4. Is C++ Programming difficult to learn?

While learning any programming language can be challenging, C++ Programming may be more difficult for beginners due to its complex syntax and concepts. However, with practice and determination, anyone can learn C++ Programming.

5. How can engineering students improve their C++ Programming skills?

To improve their C++ Programming skills, engineering students can practice writing code regularly, read and study from reliable resources, and work on projects that involve implementing C++ programs. They can also seek help from experienced programmers or join online communities to learn from others and get feedback on their code.