Charging by conduction with and odd net charge?

In summary, according to the discussion, when two conducting spheres come into contact, it is not guaranteed that the charge on one sphere will be evenly distributed between the two spheres. It is thought to be more likely that one sphere will have an extra electron, due to thermal randomness.
Legaldose
Hello, I've just got a quick question about charging an object by conduction. I've been studying for my final and I came across a problem that I can't really see how to solve.

Say you have two conducting spheres, A and B. They are both exactly the same in every way except for their electric charge. Say A is electrically neutral and B has a charge of -3e. Now what happens when they touch? I was under the impression that when they come into contact they would share the charge equally, but you can't have a charge of -(3/2)e. So what happens?

Thanks, and happy physics!

Physics news on Phys.org
Legaldose said:
Hello, I've just got a quick question about charging an object by conduction. I've been studying for my final and I came across a problem that I can't really see how to solve.

Say you have two conducting spheres, A and B. They are both exactly the same in every way except for their electric charge. Say A is electrically neutral and B has a charge of -3e. Now what happens when they touch? I was under the impression that when they come into contact they would share the charge equally, but you can't have a charge of -(3/2)e. So what happens?

Thanks, and happy physics!

Small numbers like that aren't realistic, but I'm pretty sure it would be random which sphere the one extra electron would end up on. Think thermal randomness...

one would think the three electrons were initially equidistant from each other on the one sphere. Touching the spheres together would enable at least one of the electrons to move to the second sphere...so I like the 'random' explanation already provided. But an argument might be made that in most cases, two would remain on the initial sphere.

1. What is charging by conduction with an odd net charge?

Charging by conduction with an odd net charge is a process in which an object with an overall uneven distribution of electric charge is brought into contact with another object, causing the transfer of electrons between them. This results in the redistribution of charge and the creation of an overall neutral charge on both objects.

2. How does charging by conduction with an odd net charge occur?

Charging by conduction with an odd net charge occurs when an object with an excess or deficiency of electrons, known as an electric charge, comes into contact with another object. The electrons from the charged object will flow onto the neutral object, equalizing the charge distribution between them. This transfer of electrons is known as conduction.

3. What are some examples of charging by conduction with an odd net charge?

Some common examples of charging by conduction with an odd net charge include rubbing a balloon on hair to create static electricity, touching a doorknob after shuffling your feet on a carpet, and using a Van de Graaff generator to charge objects. These processes all involve the transfer of electrons from one object to another through contact.

4. Is charging by conduction with an odd net charge a permanent process?

No, charging by conduction with an odd net charge is a temporary process. Once the two objects with different charges come into contact, electrons will flow from one object to the other until the charges are equalized. The end result is that both objects will have an overall neutral charge.

5. How does charging by conduction with an odd net charge differ from charging by induction?

Charging by conduction with an odd net charge involves the direct transfer of electrons between two objects in contact, while charging by induction involves the separation of charges within an object without direct contact. In charging by induction, the charged object induces an opposite charge in a neutral object without actually transferring electrons to it.