LED Case Materials: Epoxy vs. Acrylic and Where to Find Them

In summary: Some LEDs are just made with a lens, and some are not. You can buy LEDs which are made with a lens, but they may not be the exact type of lens you are looking for.
refind
Does anyone have any information on what the clear plastic cases (lens, capsule, w/e) are made of for LEDs? Google says it is some sort of epoxy, but I also read somewhere a while ago that sometimes it is acrylic. Is this true, and can you buy LEDs anywhere that are made of thermoplastic like acrylic, polycarbonate, etc rather than epoxy?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I imagine the exact compound will vary a bit with manufacturer and between different LEDs. They probably vary with manufacturing runs too.

You want to be able to specify the type of plastic lens used to make an LED?

I want to try an experiment with LEDs but it will only work if the material is a thermoplastic such as acrylic, polycarbonate, polystyrene etc. Epoxy is a thermosetting polymer which means it has crosslinked chains which basically means my experiment won't work.

So I need to buy LEDs which are made with a thermoplastic as mentioned above, and would like to know if such things are on the market with a reasonable availability.

refind, I am curious: How does epoxy with cross linked chains cause your experiment to not work? Do those structures affect the spectral output of the LED?

Here is a company that promises: “Max says if you don't see a LED protection encapsulant or potting material that suits your application, call DYMAX Applications Engineering for a recommendation. We have a library of over 3,000 adhesive formulations to choose from!”
http://www.dymax.com/products/electronic/led_protection/

Shin-Etsu Chemical Co., Ltd. Supplies LPS silicone encapsulating material and silicone lenses for LEDs. If they don’t supply the actual LEDs you want, perhaps one of their customers does.
http://www.shinetsu-encap-mat.jp/e/product/k_l/lds/

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Last edited by a moderator:
I found dymax :)
There is always filing down a stock LED and adding your own lens.

1. What materials are commonly used to make LED cases?

The most commonly used materials for LED cases are plastic, aluminum, and silicone. Plastic is lightweight and affordable, while aluminum offers better durability and heat dissipation. Silicone is often used for its flexibility and shock-absorbing properties.

2. Are there any environmentally friendly materials used for LED cases?

Yes, there are some environmentally friendly options for LED cases. These include materials such as bamboo, cork, and recycled plastic. These materials are sustainable and can help reduce the environmental impact of electronic devices.

3. How does the material of an LED case affect its performance?

The material of an LED case can have an impact on its performance in several ways. For example, aluminum cases can help dissipate heat more effectively, which can improve the lifespan and performance of the LED. Silicone cases can provide better shock absorption, protecting the LED from damage.

4. Are there any materials that can enhance the brightness of LED cases?

Yes, there are materials that can enhance the brightness of LED cases. One example is reflective materials, such as metallic or glossy finishes, which can reflect and amplify the light from the LED. Another option is using transparent materials, such as glass or clear plastic, which allow more light to pass through.

5. How do I choose the right material for my LED case?

The best material for an LED case will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Some factors to consider include durability, heat dissipation, shock absorption, and aesthetics. Consider your budget and the intended use of the LED case when selecting a material.