Phase Synchronisation Techniques

• Thread starter mtirmize
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phase
In summary, the conversation discusses phase synchronization techniques used in mobile/satellite communication. The techniques mentioned include phase locked loops, closed loop control, and synchronizing a reference oscillator to a received carrier. Digital techniques and algorithms are now commonly used for digital modulation techniques, such as BPSK and QPSK. The use of spread spectrum techniques and correlators is also mentioned, particularly in the context of GPS.
mtirmize
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone out there would know any kind of phase synchronisation techniques used in mobile/satellite communication. Thanks in advance

With Regards,
Max

Engineering news on Phys.org
mtirmize said:
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone out there would know any kind of phase synchronisation techniques used in mobile/satellite communication. Thanks in advance

With Regards,
Max

Welcome to the PF.

Phase synchronization in relatively bening channels is done with a preamble, where the receiver is able to recognize a preamble pattern, and choose the zero phase angle in the preamble. Then it is the receiver's job to keep using that zero phase angle reference information as it decodes the rest of the transmission.

But you asked specifically about mobile communication, which is definitely not a benign channel. With multipath issues and cell hand-off issues, determining the reference phase is challenging.

I googled part of your title -- phase synchronisation techniques used in mobile communication, and got some very good hits. Try the same search, and see if you find what you are looking for. Let us know what you find... :smile:

Thanks Berkeman for your reply. Yeah I did googled the title "Phase Synchronisation Techniques". After lots of research I came up with

1. Phase Locked Loop.
2. Closed Loop Control.

Are those correct ?

In general, those are possible techniques.
I presume you are receiving a digital signal from a moving satellite. The technique to use will be determined by the modulation of the signal you are trying to demodulate. Can you identify the modulation used or maybe the signal you wish to detect ?

Hey Baluncore, firstly thanks for your reply to my thread.

Well i am just doing some research on "Phase Synchronisation Techniques" in Mobile or Satellite. I have been searching for some papers on IEEE papers but most of them come as Phase Syn for Power instead of Mobile/Satellite.

Cheers

Perhaps you would be better searching from a different direction.
1. Compile a list of satellites.
2. List the up/down links.
3. Identify the modulation used.
4. Identify the synchronisation solutions used.

Modulation methods change as demodulator technology advances.
Digital synchronisation and demodulation techniques are rapidly replacing analogue.

oh Baluncore, That is very helpful. Thank you so much

"Carrier Phase Synchronization using Phase lock loops" would that be a correct technique ?

Yes, that would be the old analogue technique.
“Synchronisation” of a reference oscillator to a received carrier is “phase locking”.

Try this link for a start... www.radioeng.cz/fulltexts/2010/10_01_149_154.pdf‎

I suggest you google “ synchronisation of qpsk ”
BPSK and QPSK are common digital modulation techniques.
Digital techniques/algorithms are used now for these signals.

By using spread spectrum techniques and knowing the spreading sequence the receiver can lock to the spreading code. That is how GPS does it. That requires a correlator capable of detecting the phase error.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is phase synchronisation?

Phase synchronisation refers to the process of aligning the phase of two or more oscillating systems. This can occur naturally in biological systems, such as the synchronisation of heartbeats in a group of individuals, or it can be artificially induced in electronic systems to achieve coherent signals.

2. How is phase synchronisation measured?

Phase synchronisation is typically measured using a technique called cross-correlation. This method involves comparing the phase of two signals over time and determining the degree of similarity between them. Other methods, such as coherence and phase locking value, can also be used to measure phase synchronisation.

3. What are some applications of phase synchronisation techniques?

Phase synchronisation techniques have a wide range of applications in various fields, including neuroscience, physics, and engineering. They are commonly used to study the synchronisation of brain activity in different regions of the brain, to investigate the behaviour of coupled oscillators in physics, and to improve the performance of communication systems.

4. Can phase synchronisation occur between non-identical systems?

Yes, phase synchronisation can occur between non-identical systems. This phenomenon is known as generalized synchronisation and it involves the alignment of the phase of two different oscillators, even if their frequencies or shapes are not identical. Generalized synchronisation is a useful tool in studying complex systems and their behaviour.

5. What are the challenges in studying phase synchronisation?

One of the main challenges in studying phase synchronisation is the accurate measurement and interpretation of the data. It can be difficult to determine whether two systems are truly synchronised or if the observed synchronisation is due to chance or other factors. Additionally, the dynamics of many systems are complex, making it challenging to model and predict their behaviour.