Economics: Elasticity Differential Equation Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of price elasticity of demand and its relationship to price, demand, and elasticity. It is clarified that the correct equation is Q = cP^E, with c as a constant and E as the elasticity. The conversation also touches on the significance of different values of E, including when E < 0, E = 0, and E = 1. Finally, the question of when revenue is maximized is raised.
Raze
Hi. Let me preface this by saying that I know nothing about economics. However, I learned a little bit about the concept of price elasticity of demand (that for something really elastic, if price goes up a little, demand will go down a lot), and I came across an equation relating price, demand, and elasticity. It was this:

dP/P = E*dD/D​

where P is price, E is elasticity, and D is demand, with P and D > 0.

In solving this, I get the following (unless I completely forgot how Calculus II works):

ln|P| = E*ln|D| + constant

P = DE + constant

So, I'm assuming that with an elastic good, if price goes up, demand will go down (I believe that is the Law of Demand). But this means that E has to be negative, does it not? Based on that equation, the only way I can see Price going up and Demand going down is if E is negative.

And if E = 0, then a good that is completely inelastic will have a constant price and a constant demand? (P = 1 + constant)? But then if E = 1, then it's P = D + constant, so what does an elasticity with 1 mean?

And if E > 0, then if price goes up, demand goes up? What kind of good would be like that? "Status" goods?

Anyway, would someone who is familiar with economics correct me or verify and/or elaborate on what I seem to get here? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Raze said:
Hi. Let me preface this by saying that I know nothing about economics. However, I learned a little bit about the concept of price elasticity of demand (that for something really elastic, if price goes up a little, demand will go down a lot), and I came across an equation relating price, demand, and elasticity. It was this:

dP/P = E*dD/D​

where P is price, E is elasticity, and D is demand, with P and D > 0.
I think you have E on the wrong side. The price elasticity of demand is given by
$$\varepsilon = \frac{dQ/Q}{dP/P}$$ where Q is the quantity demanded and P is the price.

In solving this, I get the following (unless I completely forgot how Calculus II works):

ln|P| = E*ln|D| + constant

P = DE + constant
You're assuming the elasticity is constant, which it probably isn't. You also made a mistake in your last step. You should've gotten ##P = cD^E## where ##c## is a constant. The correct relationship is what you got except with the price and quantity variables exchanged, ##Q = cP^\varepsilon##, again assuming the elasticity is constant.

So, I'm assuming that with an elastic good, if price goes up, demand will go down (I believe that is the Law of Demand). But this means that E has to be negative, does it not? Based on that equation, the only way I can see Price going up and Demand going down is if E is negative.
Yes, the elasticity is typically negative.

And if E = 0, then a good that is completely inelastic will have a constant price and a constant demand? (P = 1 + constant)? But then if E = 1, then it's P = D + constant, so what does an elasticity with 1 mean?
Starting from the correct equation, you would get Q = constant, which makes sense: regardless of what the price does, the quantity demanded stays constant for a perfectly inelastic good.

Likes 1 person
First of all, thanks for your response!

vela said:
I think you have E on the wrong side. The price elasticity of demand is given by
$$\varepsilon = \frac{dQ/Q}{dP/P}$$ where Q is the quantity demanded and P is the price.

Ah, that would be a pretty big mistake :) .

vela said:
You're assuming the elasticity is constant, which it probably isn't. You also made a mistake in your last step. You should've gotten ##P = cD^E## where ##c## is a constant. The correct relationship is what you got except with the price and quantity variables exchanged, ##Q = cP^\varepsilon##, again assuming the elasticity is constant.

Yeah, when I e'd both sides I sort of screwed up what the plus sign meant due to bad handwriting on my scratch paper. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you integrate, and get ##f(x) + c##, but when you 'e' it, it should be ##e^{f(x) + c}##, not ##e^{f(x)} + {e^c}##, which in this case would be ##e^{(ln|D|^E + c)}## = ##e^{ln|D^E|}e^{c}##

which is,
##ce^{lnD^E}## = ##cD^E##, correct?

Of course, as you said, it should have been ##Q = cP^E## (why do they use Q for demand? Odd choice. Oh, wait, nevermind. dD/D is kind of awkward I guess, and Lord help you if you use D as a differential operator.)In any case, if E is not a constant, you wouldn't still use this form of an equation? Say, E(Q,P,R...) = some quotient of partial derivatives, I guess?

vela said:
Yes, the elasticity is typically negative.

Well, if I did the arithmetic right, then I should have ##Q = cP^E##? So if Price goes up and demand goes down, E once again has to be negative. What a coincidence that my bad math gave a similar relationship between price and demand. Hmmm...

vela said:
Starting from the correct equation, you would get Q = constant, which makes sense: regardless of what the price does, the quantity demanded stays constant for a perfectly inelastic good.

That actually makes more sense to me this way.

So, ##Q = cP^0 => Q = c##, a constant. Demand doesn't change.

Now, if E = 1, you'd have Q = cP, which is just a straight line of slope c, right? (but then you'd have demand going up as price goes up). But what does that mean, if anything at all?
As far as the critical points here, I understand when E < 0. That's pretty much any normal good where demand goes down as price goes up. As for E = 0, again, that makes sense. It's a constant, so demand doesn't change.

But I'm not clear on any significance for E = 1, and also, when would revenue be maximized? I suppose with a revenue function I could find that just using the maxima finding technique from calculus, but I'm not sure from this equation.
Thanks again for all your work here.

Raze said:
Yeah, when I e'd both sides I sort of screwed up what the plus sign meant due to bad handwriting on my scratch paper. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you integrate, and get ##f(x) + c##, but when you 'e' it, it should be ##e^{f(x) + c}##, not ##e^{f(x)} + {e^c}##, which in this case would be ##e^{(ln|D|^E + c)}## = ##e^{ln|D^E|}e^{c}##

which is,
##ce^{lnD^E}## = ##cD^E##, correct?
Correct.

In any case, if E is not a constant, you wouldn't still use this form of an equation? Say, E(Q,P,R...) = some quotient of partial derivatives, I guess?
Yes. It's simply that the integration is more difficult if the elasticity isn't constant.

Now, if E = 1, you'd have Q = cP, which is just a straight line of slope c, right? (but then you'd have demand going up as price goes up). But what does that mean, if anything at all?
It's a reversal of the law of demand. As you said in your original post, it would correspond to a status good, one where the higher price makes it more desirable for whatever reason.

When would revenue be maximized? I suppose with a revenue function I could find that just using the maxima finding technique from calculus, but I'm not sure from this equation.
Revenue won't have a maximum because you can always increase revenue by selling one more item. Increasing production, however, tends to increase costs, so there's some quantity at which you can maximize profit.

Hello,

I am not an expert in economics, but I can provide some insights into your questions based on my understanding of elasticity and differential equations.

Firstly, your understanding of elasticity is correct. In general, elasticity measures the responsiveness of demand to changes in price. A high elasticity means that a small change in price will result in a large change in demand, indicating a more sensitive market. On the other hand, a low elasticity means that changes in price will not have a significant effect on demand, indicating a less sensitive market.

Now, going back to the equation you mentioned, it is known as the price elasticity of demand formula. This formula is derived from the basic economic concept of the law of demand, which states that as the price of a good increases, the quantity demanded decreases.

The negative sign in the formula indicates an inverse relationship between price and demand. This means that as price increases, demand decreases and vice versa. Therefore, your interpretation that E must be negative for the equation to make sense is correct.

When E=0, it means that the good is perfectly inelastic, and as you mentioned, the price and demand will remain constant. This type of good is rare and usually applies to essential goods like basic food items.

When E=1, it means that the good is unit elastic, and the percentage change in price is equal to the percentage change in demand. This indicates a balanced market where demand is not significantly affected by changes in price.

For E>0, as you mentioned, it means that as price increases, demand also increases. This type of good is known as a luxury good, where consumers are willing to pay more for it even as the price increases.

In summary, your interpretation of the equation and its implications are correct. I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of elasticity and its relationship with price and demand. However, for a more in-depth understanding of economics, it is best to consult an economist.

1. What is elasticity in economics?

Elasticity in economics is a measure of how responsive a variable is to changes in another variable. It is often used to measure the impact of changes in price on the quantity demanded or supplied of a good or service.

2. How is elasticity calculated?

Elasticity is calculated by dividing the percentage change in quantity by the percentage change in price. The resulting number is a unitless measure, with values greater than 1 indicating elastic demand or supply, values less than 1 indicating inelastic demand or supply, and a value of 1 indicating unitary elasticity.

3. What is the difference between price elasticity of demand and price elasticity of supply?

The price elasticity of demand measures the responsiveness of quantity demanded to changes in price, while the price elasticity of supply measures the responsiveness of quantity supplied to changes in price. The former is typically negative, as price and quantity demanded have an inverse relationship, while the latter is typically positive, as price and quantity supplied have a direct relationship.

4. How does elasticity affect markets?

Elasticity plays a crucial role in determining the equilibrium price and quantity in a market. When demand is elastic, a small change in price leads to a relatively large change in quantity demanded, and vice versa for inelastic demand. Similarly, when supply is elastic, a small change in price leads to a relatively large change in quantity supplied, and vice versa for inelastic supply. This information helps businesses and policymakers make decisions about pricing and production.

5. What is the significance of elasticity in economics?

Elasticity is important in economics because it helps us understand how consumers and producers respond to changes in prices. It also helps us predict the impact of policies such as taxes or subsidies on markets. Additionally, elasticity can provide valuable insights into the behavior of markets and how they may change over time.