Schrodinger equation in the reciprocal lattice.

by silverwhale
Tags: equation, lattice, reciprocal, schrodinger
silverwhale
Oct3-13, 03:00 AM
P: 58
Hi Everybody,

I am learning solid state physics using a German book called "Festkorperphysik" written by Gross and Marx.

Now, in page 336 the Schrodinger equation in momentum space is introduced:
[tex] \left( \frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m} - E \right) C_\vec{k} + \sum_\vec{G} V_\vec{G} C_{\vec{k}-\vec{G}} = 0. [/tex]
Then the authors go on and say that this set of algebraic equations is a representation of the Schrodinger equation in the reciprocal space (reciprocal lattice). I guess they mean set because for each value of [itex] \vec{k}[/itex] there is one equation.

Next, they say that for each [itex] \vec{k} [/itex] there is a solution [itex] \psi_{\vec{k}} [/itex] with a corresponding energy eigenvalue [itex] E_\vec{k} [/itex].
I do not understand what [itex] \psi_{\vec{k}} [/itex] is.

From each equation I get only one value for [itex] C_\vec{k} [/itex]. And by looking at all the different values for [itex] \vec{k} [/itex] I get all the different algebraic equations from which I can extract the [itex] C_\vec{k} [/itex] with which I can construct [itex] \psi[/itex], the original wave function. That's what I thought..

Where does [itex] \psi_{\vec{k}} [/itex] come from? And related to this where does [itex] E_k [/itex] come from? Where is the eigenvalue equation that gives the k indexed wavefunction and eigenvalue?

Or is [itex] \psi_{\vec{k}} [/itex] simply given by:

[tex] \psi_{\vec{k}} = C_{\vec{k}} e^{i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{r}}?[/tex]

I do not understand.

I searched many books but didn't find any answer..

Thanks for your help in advance! :)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers develop scalable methods for manufacturing metamaterials
Researchers find tin selenide shows promise for efficiently converting waste heat into electrical energy
After 13 years, progress in pitch-drop experiment (w/ video)

Register to reply