Convergence of different macromolecular structures with same function

In summary: Overall, however, I do not think that there are any significant similarities between the ribozyme and polymerase structures. In summary, my professor had provided evidence for the RNA World Hypothesis by citing the in-vitro selection experiments carried out on RNA. He noted that the outcome of one of these experiments resulted in the "creation" of an RNA polymerase ribozyme which totally blew my mind. However, he dismissed my question of whether there were any similarities between the ribozyme structure and that of an RNA polymerase, citing major differences in the way these two families of RNA polymerases work.
Jarven
My professor had given us a lecture on the RNA World Hypothesis. He provided evidence for this hypothesis by citing the in-vitro selection experiments carried out on RNA.

The outcome of one (or more) of these experiments resulted in the "creation" of an RNA polymerase ribozyme which totally blew my mind. It was capable of ligating 10-15 nucleotides on RNA oligonucleotides, which is actually really terrible processivity (but its a goddamn RIBOZYME).

A paper had recently solved the structure of this ribozyme and my question to the professor was whether there were any similarities between the ribozyme structure and that of an RNA polymerase. He quickly dismissed my question, stating that the ribozyme is unlike anything seen before :(

This actually got me thinking, would different macromolecules (in this case RNA and proteins) converge to similar structures over a long period of time (through evolutionary processes) if they were catalyzing the same reaction?

I had difficulty finding papers that compared the structures of ribozymes and proteins with similar function.

Biology news on Phys.org
Nature has performed this experiment with RNA polymerase proteins. Most organisms use a multisubunit RNA polymerase to transcribe DNA into mRNA. Despite the similarities between DNA synthesis and RNA synthesis, these multisubunit RNA polymerases are evolutionarily and structurally unrelated to DNA polymerases. Some viruses, however, contain single subunit RNA polymerases (one of the best studied examples is T7 RNA polymerase from the bacteriophage T7). Because these single subunit RNA polymerases evolved from DNA polymerases, they are unrelated to the multisubunit RNA polymerases in both sequence and structure. While there are some similarities (they use essentially the same catalytic mechanism), there are also major differences in the way these two families of RNA polymerases work (for example, they interact with their substrates in very different ways). Therefore, despite performing exactly the same reaction (RNA synthesis) and performing the same cellular role (transcription), these two families of enzymes have evolved two very different structures. So, if these differences in structure can exist for two classes of proteins catalyzing the same reaction, I would imaging that such differences would also exist between ribozymes and proteins catalyzing the same reaction.

There are, however, a few examples of protein mimicking RNA structures, for example, the case of the ribosomal release factor proteins very closely resembling the structure of tRNA molecules.

1. What is convergence in terms of macromolecular structures?

Convergence in macromolecular structures refers to the phenomenon where different molecules or structures with distinct evolutionary origins end up having similar functions. This is often seen in proteins, where different amino acid sequences can fold into similar structures to perform the same biological function.

2. How does convergence occur?

Convergence can occur through a variety of mechanisms, such as gene duplication and divergence, horizontal gene transfer, and convergent evolution. These processes can lead to the development of similar macromolecular structures with the same function.

3. What are the implications of convergence in macromolecular structures?

The discovery of convergence in macromolecular structures has significant implications in the study of evolution and molecular biology. It suggests that organisms may have similar solutions to biological problems, even if they are not closely related. This also highlights the importance of function over form in the evolution of biological systems.

4. Can convergence lead to identical macromolecular structures?

While convergence can result in similar macromolecular structures, it is unlikely to result in identical structures since the evolutionary pathways that lead to them are different. Additionally, subtle differences in structure can still result in functional differences.

5. How does convergence impact drug discovery and design?

Convergence in macromolecular structures can provide valuable insights for drug discovery and design. By studying the similarities between structures with the same function, scientists can identify common features that can be targeted for drug development. This can help in the development of more effective and specific drugs for various diseases.