UV Light Question

by icor1031
Tags: light
icor1031
Nov6-13, 06:31 PM
P: 11
I recently repaired some damage on my car, which isn't quite done - I still have to scrape the runs.

However, the paint is a significantly different shade from the rest of the car. I asked to have the codes matched, so I assume it's because of fading.

Is it possible to mask off the old paint on my car, and put a UV light on the new paint to force it to fade quickly?

And roughly how much power would I need to get anywhere? I found a 400w black light on ebay, but I have no idea how that compares to the UV the sun hits my car with.

Thanks!

Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Simon Bridge
Nov6-13, 10:08 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
PF Gold
P: 10,966
You can force-fade the paint - I have no way to know how long it would take though.
You also get fading from microscratches in the surface and heating and just plain degeneration due to age.
It is more usual to match panels by adding a gradient of the new paint over the old one so the transition is not discernible to the eye. In this case, that would be the door. Ask the car paint guys.

Register to reply