Memorizing Mathematical Definitions

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in remembering mathematical definitions and suggests ways to improve retention, such as understanding the motivation behind the definitions and finding patterns among them. It also mentions specific books that may be helpful for understanding algebra, real analysis, and measure theory. The conversation also acknowledges the possibility of using memorization as a temporary crutch for beginners, but emphasizes the importance of understanding and not just memorizing definitions in the long run.
Avatrin
Hi

Usually when learning math, understanding the theorems and ideas helps tremendously to remember math. I get that... I got through calculus, linear algebra and complex analysis easily.

The problem for me started with three branches in mathematics: Real analysis, measure theory and abstract algebra. The theorems are no problem. However, remembering the definitions is really hard:
Rings, fields, sigma-rings, algebras, sigma-algebras, integral domains, outer measure, Lebesgue measure, metric space, norm space... The list goes on... Not only are there many definitions; They are often very similar to each other. So, remembering the differences can be an art in itself.

I have to retake exams because I could not remember the definitions. What were the exact definitions of pointwise and uniform continuity? I remembered only vaguely and had to try to deduce parts of the definitions..

How can I remember the definitions more easily? I keep forgetting them..

Last edited:
Likes NihalRi
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'd look at the properties of each definition and see how one definition is a subset of another due to one or more added properties.

You might see a pattern that you can work with and own the subject.

"It is impossible to understand an unmotivated definition, but this does not stop the criminal axiomitizers/algebraists." --V.I. Arnold

Forgetting the definitions is a symptom of the lack of motivation found in many math books and classes. One of the tricks to remembering things is to make them as meaningful as possible, and to see the point of the definition.

For algebra, you might try books by John Stillwell on algebra and number theory. Ideals are actually a meaningful concept, when viewed in the context of number theory, as Stillwell explains in the later chapters of his book. They are not an arbitrary definition from the sky, the way textbooks often present it. You could also think of an ideal as the appropriate notion for the kernel of a ring homomorphism or something, but that doesn't quite have the poetry of Dedekind's original theory of ideals.

For real analysis and measure theory, you might try the two volumes of A Radical Approach to Real Analysis or Understanding Analysis.

And generally, try to understand the definitions, not just memorize them. There's a clear picture that goes along with the epsilon-delta definition of continuity, for example. You should remember the picture and how to translate that into a definition, not the word-for-word, rote-memorized definition.

Possibly, memorizing word for word definitions could be useful for beginners in some cases, as a kind of crutch, while they are still developing their mathematical skills, but in general, I wouldn't recommend it.

One caveat, though: you might not want to spend excessive amounts of time searching for the best possible intuition behind every single definition. If you go further in math, all the way to doing research, you might find that in your research, you don't even need to know what an ideal is. In that case, you might want to cut some corners (choose which ones to cut carefully!) and leave the motivation to someone like me who can't leave it alone, to the point where I have abandoned a conventional mathematical career in favor of devoting all of my mathematical efforts to searching for and restoring the motivation and intuition.

Likes NihalRi and Avatrin
Flash cards.

I understand the importance of being able to remember mathematical definitions accurately. It can be frustrating to struggle with remembering definitions, especially when it may result in having to retake exams. I would suggest a few strategies that may help you in this situation.

Firstly, try to understand the underlying concepts behind the definitions. Many mathematical definitions are interconnected and have a common underlying concept. For example, rings, fields, and algebras all involve operations on sets of elements. By understanding this underlying concept, it may become easier to differentiate between the definitions.

Secondly, practice actively recalling the definitions. Instead of just reading them over and over again, try to actively recall them from memory. This can be done through flashcards or practice problems that require you to apply the definitions.

Another helpful strategy is to create visual aids or diagrams to represent the definitions. This can help with understanding the relationships between different definitions and make them more memorable.

Additionally, try to make connections between the definitions and real-world examples. This can help to solidify your understanding and make the definitions more relatable and easier to remember.

Lastly, it is important to give yourself enough time to study and review the definitions regularly. Cramming may help in the short term, but it is not an effective long-term strategy for remembering information.

Overall, memorizing mathematical definitions can be challenging, but with a combination of understanding the concepts, active recall, visual aids, and regular review, it can become easier to remember them accurately. I wish you the best of luck in your studies.

1. What is the best way to memorize mathematical definitions?

The best way to memorize mathematical definitions is to first understand the concept behind the definition. Once you have a solid understanding, try to break the definition down into smaller parts and connect them to other related concepts. You can also use mnemonic devices or create flashcards to help with memorization.

2. How can I remember the difference between similar mathematical definitions?

One way to remember the difference between similar definitions is to focus on the key differences and make connections between them. You can also create a chart or visual representation to help you differentiate between the definitions.

3. Is it important to memorize mathematical definitions?

While understanding mathematical concepts is more important than memorizing definitions, having a solid grasp of definitions can help you better understand and apply mathematical principles. It can also make problem-solving and communication with others in the field easier.

4. Can I use technology to help me memorize mathematical definitions?

Yes, there are many online resources and apps available that can help you with memorization. These include flashcard apps, quiz games, and mnemonic generators. However, it is still important to understand the concept behind the definition rather than relying solely on technology.

5. How often should I review mathematical definitions?

It is important to review mathematical definitions regularly, especially when learning new concepts. It is recommended to review them at least once a week and before any exams or assignments that require knowledge of the definitions. Consistent review can help with long-term retention of the information.