Winter Woes: Battling Wind, Rain and Flying Branches

In summary, Ivan is scared by the wind and it can be a pain to have to wait for Bun to let him go home. The old growth tree between him and the house makes it dangerous, and the wind has been particularly strong lately.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I hate it when this happens! I'm down in my office and need to get up to the house, but the wind is howling, the rain has been pounding, and fairly large branches are flying around like missiles out there. They keep slamming against the walls of my office and scaring the heck of my poor little kitty who is hiding between my feet at the moment. :redface: But this can get to be a real pain at times. The old growth tree is between me and everything else, and in a wind storm, that tree is extremely dangerous...not to mention everything else flying around. Its a good problem but this winter has been something else. We are something like 220% of normal for Jan, we were way over for Dec, and I think they have about a thousand feet of snow on the mountains. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a kitty in your office? That's pretty neat.

Poor Ivan! How far away is the house?

Math Is Hard said:
Poor Ivan! How far away is the house?

300 feet, right through the trees. I think its finally starting to let up, but I have been waiting for over an hour now.

Ah. That explains the kitty.

Jelfish said:
You have a kitty in your office? That's pretty neat.

Why Bun III her majesty, of course!

Jelfish said:
Ah. That explains the kitty.

See that's the other problem: I can't go until Bun says it's okay.

gotta log off in case I get a chance to run.

Good luck, Ivan!

Maybe you need a bed in that office too. Isn't there a couch out there? Is it a sleeper sofa? If not, maybe it needs to be replaced with one. That way, if Bun decides you're not allowed to go home at night, you can give her a whole big bed to curl up on while you find a corner to nap on until the storm ends. :biggrin:

RUN IVAN, RUN!

Actually things have quieted down a lot, it is not even raining now. This evening and last night the wind was really whipping it up.

I have seen Ivan's old growth Doug Fir, it is quite impressive. Unfortunatly it has spent much of its life on the edge of a clearing. This means it has large limbs quite close to the ground. These limbs can be very unstable, a good stiff wind is a very dangerous thing if you choose to stand near one of these trees.

I do have a couch and all of the comforts of home... the worst has been when the power goes out in a wind storm, which used to happen like clockwork, in which case I would end up sitting down there in in the dark. Now that really sucks. But when the wind is really howling it's like a war zone out there.

As it turns out I did take one on the head, but luckily it was a small branch and not moving too quickly. Even the little ones can be a bugger though. I had one only about an inch in diameter that punched right through the canopy on my truck a couple of years ago.

Ivan Seeking said:
But when the wind is really howling it's like a war zone out there.
It sounds like you inherited the winter we had here last year: hard rain nearly every day for weeks and weeks.

This years has been the opposite: very little rain and no severe drops in temp.
As it turns out I did take one on the head, but luckily it was a small branch and not moving too quickly. Even the little ones can be a bugger though. I had one only about an inch in diameter that punched right through the canopy on my truck a couple of years ago.
Last year we had several severe car accidents when large trees (eucalyptus, I think) were knocked right over onto highways.

Maybe you could keep a couple spare hardhats out in the office: one for you, a little one for the kitty.

Ivan Seeking said:
I had one only about an inch in diameter that punched right through the canopy on my truck a couple of years ago.

Yeah, you'd be surprised just how hard a piece of wood can hit something in a storm.

116676main_plank_palm_lg.jpg

andrew1.jpg

O.K. Never mind hardhats. Dig a deep tunnel to the house.

1. What causes winter storms?

Winter storms are caused by a combination of cold air, moisture, and strong winds. As cold air moves over a warmer body of water, it picks up moisture and creates clouds. When these clouds reach a certain temperature, they release the moisture in the form of rain or snow. Strong winds can also develop from differences in air pressure, which can intensify the storm.

2. How do winter storms impact the environment?

Winter storms can have a significant impact on the environment. Heavy snow and ice can weigh down trees and power lines, causing damage and power outages. Strong winds can also uproot trees and cause property damage. In addition, winter storms can lead to flooding and erosion, affecting the health of ecosystems and water sources.

3. How can we prepare for winter storms?

It is important to be prepared for winter storms, especially if you live in an area prone to severe weather. Some ways to prepare include stocking up on food and supplies, having a backup heating source, and making sure your home is properly insulated. It is also important to have an emergency plan in place and to stay informed about weather updates.

4. How do winter storms impact transportation?

Winter storms can greatly impact transportation, especially on roads and highways. Snow and ice can make driving conditions dangerous and can lead to accidents. In addition, strong winds can cause flight delays and cancellations. It is important to exercise caution while traveling during a winter storm and to check for any updates or advisories.

5. What are some safety tips for dealing with winter storms?

There are several safety tips to keep in mind when dealing with winter storms. First, it is important to stay indoors and avoid unnecessary travel. If you must go outside, dress warmly and be aware of potential hazards such as ice or downed power lines. It is also important to have an emergency kit with supplies such as food, water, and a first aid kit. Lastly, be sure to stay informed about weather updates and follow any evacuation orders if necessary.