Exploring the Intensity of Single Slits: Part A versus Part B

• Thread starter mmh37
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is able to solve part a of a question regarding single slides, but is stuck on part b, which involves calculating intensities in the y direction on the path of a moving object. They ask for a hint and receive a link for reference. However, they later mention that they have solved the problem and were initially confused about the directions involved.
mmh37
Hi everyone,

this is a really nice question on single slids. I can do part a), since the Intensity is proportional to [f(x)]^2.

However, I am completely stuck on part b. If the wave alters in x direction (not uniform) I don't understand how I am supposed to calculate the resulting Intensities in y direction on the path of the dog. Am I supposed to build the time average on each point? If anyone could give me a hint that would be amazing. Thank you!

Attachments

• waves.jpg
    waves.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you - I already solved the problem (it was actually quite easy) - I had been confused, since I thought that direction x (in the intensity pattern) was perpendicular to y (the direction in which the dog walks), but apparently it is the same, which makes the problem quite easy to handle.

1. What is a single slit experiment?

The single slit experiment is a fundamental experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave nature of light. It involves passing a beam of light through a narrow slit and observing the resulting diffraction pattern.

2. How does a single slit affect the diffraction pattern?

A single slit causes the diffraction of light, meaning that the light waves spread out and interfere with each other, creating a pattern of bright and dark fringes on a screen placed behind the slit. This pattern is known as the single slit diffraction pattern.

3. What factors affect the single slit diffraction pattern?

The single slit diffraction pattern is affected by the width of the slit, the wavelength of the light, and the distance between the slit and the screen. The narrower the slit, the wider the diffraction pattern will be. Similarly, longer wavelengths of light will result in a wider diffraction pattern.

4. What is the purpose of the single slit experiment?

The single slit experiment is used to study the wave nature of light and to determine the properties of light, such as its wavelength and its diffraction behavior. It is also used to study the effects of diffraction on other types of waves, such as sound waves.

5. How does the single slit experiment relate to real-world applications?

The single slit experiment has several real-world applications, such as in the design of optical instruments and devices like cameras and telescopes. It is also used in the study of diffraction in materials, which has practical applications in fields such as materials science and engineering.