General Discussion: Appropriate Topics & Rules

• Thread starter En_lizard
  • Start date
In summary, the appropriate discussions for GD are general discussions that do not violate the global forum guidelines. Religious discussions that assert the truth or falsity of dogmas are not allowed. Other discussions that do not fit in other sections and follow the guidelines are allowed. Any topic can be discussed in GD as long as it does not violate the guidelines or offend others.
En_lizard
what kind of discussions are appropriate for GD? are we allowed to post evrything we want? i just see only threads regarded to religious discussions get closed there?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to read Physics Forums Global Guidelines. It's the Guidelines button on the Flash menu.
There's a part that reads:
Discussions that assert the a priori truth or falsity of religious dogmas and belief systems, or value judgments stemming from such religious belief systems, will not be tolerated.

i know that. i just want to know what other discussions are forbidden in GD. like you can't post a biology question at physics section.

General Discussion is for...well...General discussion. If it doesn't fit somewhere else, and does fit within the global forum guidelines, then it belongs in GD.

In GD you can pretty much post whatever the hell you want :smile:

mattmns said:
In GD you can pretty much post whatever the hell you want :smile:
as long as it does not violate the guidelines and is not offensive.

1. What are the rules for posting in the General Discussion section?

The rules for posting in the General Discussion section vary depending on the specific forum or website. Generally, it is expected that users will engage in respectful and appropriate discussions that adhere to the website's terms of service. Some websites may also have specific guidelines for acceptable topics and language.

2. What topics are appropriate for the General Discussion section?

Again, this will vary depending on the website or forum. However, in general, the General Discussion section is a place for open-ended discussions on a wide range of topics. It is important to read the specific guidelines or rules for the website to ensure your topic is appropriate.

3. Can I post personal opinions in the General Discussion section?

Yes, the General Discussion section is a place for sharing personal opinions and engaging in discussions with others. However, it is important to remember to be respectful and considerate of others' opinions and to avoid any offensive or inflammatory language.

4. Are there any topics that are not allowed in the General Discussion section?

Yes, some websites may have specific guidelines on topics that are not allowed in the General Discussion section. This may include topics that are deemed offensive, inappropriate, or irrelevant to the overall theme of the website. It is important to read the guidelines carefully before posting.

5. Can I start my own discussion thread in the General Discussion section?

Yes, most websites allow users to create their own discussion threads in the General Discussion section. This is a great way to start a conversation and engage with others who have similar interests. Just make sure to adhere to the website's rules and guidelines for posting.