Are cosmic rays considered part of the EMS?

In summary, cosmic rays and high-energy gammas were historically lumped together as part of the EMS due to a lack of understanding. However, it has been established that cosmic rays are energetic particles and do not fall under the category of electromagnetic radiation. Some diagrams may still show cosmic rays as part of the EMS, but this is either a remnant of earlier misconceptions or a result of confusion. Despite this, cosmic rays and high-energy gammas are closely related and are thought to be the only known source of such high energy photons.
RAD4921
Are cosmic rays part of the EMS (Electromagnetic spectrum)? I have seen duagrams showing that cosmic rays are part of the EMS and I have heard conflicting reports that cosmic rays are not part of the EMS. I know cosmic rays are energetic nuclei and have mass so I tend to believe that they are not part of the EMS but some scientist seem to inlude them on EMS diagrams. Thanks RAD

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Historically, before CRs were particularly well understood, gammas (part of the "EMS") which came from outside the atmosphere were lumped into 'cosmic rays'.

It's been quite a while (50 years? more?) since the distinction between cosmic rays (the particles) and high-energy gammas became clear-cut.

If you see some diagrams with "cosmic rays" way down at the high energy end of the electromagnetic spectrum, I think you're seeing an echo of those earlier days.

Alternatively, you may be seeing a confusion, or a too-drastic editing. The universe is pervaded by EM, with energies ranging from the plasma frequency cutoff (up in the long-wavelength radio part) to TeV gammas (and beyond? that's an active area of research). At the high energy end, the gammas can have energies that are comparable to energies of cosmic rays, so perhaps an editor added 2 and 2 and got 5?

I think the only known source of really high energy gammas is cosmic rays.I also think it is fairly hard to tell the difference between a "gamma or photon cosmic ray" and a "particle cosmic ray" in a cosmic ray detector, because they both initiate extensive air showers.
I believe the percentage of cosmic rays that are photons is still somewhat uncertain, particularly at the highest energies, but they are thought to be the minority .i. e. only about one in a thousand. Google "cosmic ray photons" for some good refs.

Jim

1. What are cosmic rays?

Cosmic rays are high-energy particles that originate from outside our solar system. They can travel at nearly the speed of light and can be made up of protons, electrons, and other atomic nuclei.

2. How are cosmic rays related to the EMS?

Cosmic rays interact with the Earth's atmosphere and create a cascade of secondary particles, including gamma rays, X-rays, and other forms of electromagnetic radiation. This is known as the electromagnetic spectrum (EMS).

3. Can cosmic rays affect our daily lives?

Yes, cosmic rays can affect our daily lives in various ways. They can interfere with communication signals, disrupt satellite operations, and cause electronic equipment failures. They can also pose a health risk to astronauts and airline crew members who are exposed to higher levels of cosmic rays.

4. How do scientists study cosmic rays?

Scientists study cosmic rays using various methods, including ground-based detectors, satellites, and high-altitude balloons. They also use computer simulations to understand the behavior of cosmic rays and their interactions with the Earth's atmosphere.

5. What is the origin of cosmic rays?

The origin of cosmic rays is still not fully understood, but it is believed that they come from violent events in our universe, such as supernovae explosions, gamma-ray bursts, and black holes. Some cosmic rays may also come from our own sun.