How do I resolve the moments into vectors and forces?

In summary: Remember how in chapter 1 we talked about vectors and how they have magnitude and direction? When you are trying to add vectors together, you need to keep track of both the magnitude and the direction of the vectors. If you only have the magnitude of the vectors, you can't actually add them together.
VinnyCee
Hi everyone.

I have this problem and I don't even know how to start it!

If you are familiar with my previous posts, you know that I usually have most of a problem completed before posting here with my difficulties, however, I cannot even start this one! I don't think there is enough information to get an answer!

The answer is an i-j-k vector, but how am I supposed to resolve the moments given into it's vectors and forces?

Please help!

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8441/problem4937cj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first step would be to write the moments as vectors.

Notice that the direction of the moment is given by the black arrows in the diagram, and the magnitude is given as 60 lb*ft and 80
lb*ft.

After you write them in vector notation I think you can figure out how to find their resultant, or sum.

How?

How do I write the moments as vectors? There are no reference points. All I have are the directions of the vectors, but no lengths or anything!

Maybe [tex]M_1 = -60\,\hat{i}[/tex]

I would advise you to go back and read about vectors in chapter 1 or 2. By the time you are working on couples, your expected to know that stuff.

Then post any new thoughts\ideas.

VinnyCee said:
How do I write the moments as vectors? There are no reference points. All I have are the directions of the vectors, but no lengths or anything!

You have the magnitudes (or lengths) of the vectors. They are simply the given torques in lb*ft.

Like Cyrus said, this is basically a vector addition problem.

I can do vectors. I have read those chapters, twice, and did all of the problems.

Are you hinting that the vector is to be a unit vector?

[itex]-\hat{i}[/itex] is the unit vector for [itex]M_1[/itex]. So does this mean that [itex]M_1 = \left(60 lb.\right) \left(-\hat{i}\right)[/itex]?

Almost. M1 points in the positive X direction.

VinnyCee said:

It's actually [itex] +60 \, \hat{i} [/itex].

A hint for the other: its z component is [itex] - 80 sin(30) [/itex], right? (the minus is because of the way it is pointing. For the x and y components, the simplest way to visualize is to first find the projection in the xy plane (which involves a factor of cos(30)) and *then* decompose that projection into the x and y components which will give an *additional* factor of sin(45) and cos(45) (which are of course equal).

Patrick

[tex]M_1 = \left(60 lb.\right) \left(\hat{i}\right)[/tex]

[tex]M_2 = \left[\left(-80\,cos 30\,sin 45\right) \hat{i} + \left(-80\,cos 30\,cos 45\right) \hat{j} + \left(-80\,sin 30\right) \hat{k}\right] lb. ft.[/tex]

Those are the vectors for the two moments, right?

Then I just algebraically add them together?

[tex]M_3 = \left(11 \hat{i} - 49 \hat{j} - 40 \hat{k}\right)[/tex]

Is that correct?

VinnyCee said:
[tex]M_1 = \left(60 lb.\right) \left(\hat{i}\right)[/tex]

[tex]M_2 = \left[\left(-80\,cos 30\,sin 45\right) \hat{i} + \left(-80\,cos 30\,cos 45\right) \hat{j} + \left(-80\,sin 30\right) \hat{k}\right] lb. ft.[/tex]

Those are the vectors for the two moments, right?

Then I just algebraically add them together?

[tex]M_3 = \left(11 \hat{i} - 49 \hat{j} - 40 \hat{k}\right)[/tex]

Is that correct?

Looks right to me.

Patrick

1. What is a resultant couple moment?

A resultant couple moment is the net effect of a system of forces acting on a rigid body, causing it to rotate about a specific point. It is a vector quantity that represents the magnitude and direction of the combined moment of all the forces in the system.

2. How is a resultant couple moment calculated?

To calculate a resultant couple moment, you must first determine the moment arm of each individual force in the system. Then, multiply the magnitude of each force by its respective moment arm and add all the resulting moments together. The resultant couple moment is the final vector that represents the combined moment of the system.

3. What is the difference between a resultant force and a resultant couple moment?

A resultant force is the net effect of all the forces acting on a rigid body, causing it to accelerate in a certain direction. On the other hand, a resultant couple moment is the net effect of all the forces causing the body to rotate about a specific point. While a resultant force is a linear quantity, a resultant couple moment is a rotational quantity.

4. How does a resultant couple moment affect the stability of a body?

A resultant couple moment can cause a body to rotate and potentially lose its balance, making it unstable. The greater the magnitude of the resultant couple moment, the more unstable the body becomes. In order to maintain stability, the resultant couple moment must be counteracted by an equal and opposite moment.

5. What are some real-life applications of resultant couple moments?

Resultant couple moments are present in many everyday situations, such as opening a door, driving a car, or throwing a ball. In engineering, they are important in designing structures and machines that can withstand external forces and remain stable. In biomechanics, resultant couple moments play a crucial role in the movement and stability of the human body.