Dyson's 1951 Lectures on Advanced Quantum Mechanics Second Edition

In summary, The conversation revolved around a free lecture on quantum physics available online. The participants were excited about the opportunity to learn more about the subject and discussed other resources and books, including Feynman's Quantum Electrodynamics. Some were skeptical about the high rating of the book due to potential bias towards Feynman.
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the link, Zz. How I wish I could understand all of that now. :(

This is exactly what I was looking for! Talk about serendp - serenedi -seneredip - coolness!

Hmmm, what other gems are out there on this subject? Also, what do folks think of Feynman's old Quantum Electrodynamcis as an intro to this subject?

Daverz said:
Hmmm, what other gems are out there on this subject? Also, what do folks think of Feynman's old Quantum Electrodynamcis as an intro to this subject?

Do you mean the popularization with the oil slick on the cover?

actionintegral said:
Do you mean the popularization with the oil slick on the cover?

No, not the pop-sci one titled QED, but the one titled https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201360756/?tag=pfamazon01-20. It gets a high rating on Amazon, but I wonder if that is due to a bit of Feynman worship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link. I might get it used.

1. What is the significance of Dyson's 1951 Lectures on Advanced Quantum Mechanics Second Edition?

Dyson's 1951 Lectures on Advanced Quantum Mechanics Second Edition is a seminal work in the field of quantum mechanics. It is considered a classic text that provides a comprehensive and rigorous treatment of advanced topics in quantum mechanics, including quantum field theory and relativistic quantum mechanics.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for this book is primarily advanced undergraduate and graduate students in physics, as well as researchers and scientists working in the field of quantum mechanics.

3. What are some key topics covered in Dyson's 1951 Lectures on Advanced Quantum Mechanics Second Edition?

Some key topics covered in this book include the mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics, the Dirac equation and its solutions, quantum field theory, and the quantization of electromagnetic fields.

4. How does this edition differ from the previous edition?

This second edition includes additional material on the connection between quantum mechanics and classical mechanics, as well as a new chapter on quantum electrodynamics. It also includes more detailed discussions on symmetries and conservation laws in quantum mechanics.

5. Is this book still relevant today?

Yes, this book is still highly relevant today as it provides a solid foundation in advanced topics in quantum mechanics that are still being studied and applied in current research. It is also a valuable resource for those looking to deepen their understanding of quantum mechanics and its applications.