A simple question which got me confused.

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary: Set these two equations equal to each other and solve for x to get the answer R/3. In summary, the problem involves a block sliding down from rest on a frictionless sphere of radius R. The block loses contact with the sphere at a certain displacement x from the top. The normal force N equals 0 at this point, so cos(a) = v^2/Rg. By using conservation of energy and the right triangle formed, cos(a) can also be expressed as (R-x)/R. Setting these two equations equal to each other and solving for x will give the answer R/3.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
a small block slides from rest from the top of a frictionless sphere of radius R, how far below the top x does it lose contact with the sphere? the sphere doesn't move.
the question is from kleppner's in troduction to mechanics page 196 problem 4.6. (my scanner doesn't work so i can't scan the picture).

anyway, x is the displacement from when the block was on top the shpere up until where it loses contact with the sphere.

what i got so far is:
i calculated the tan of the angle of velocity, i got that tan(a)=sqrt(2Rx-x^2)/x and i got by energies that v^2=2xg and i know that v_y/v_x=tg(a) and v^2=v_y^2+v_x^2
and that v_y^2=xg, but after all that i didnt get the answer in the book, which is R/3.
can someone help me here?
thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Loss of contact implies that the normal force N equals 0. Since N = mgcosA - mv^2/R, we have cosA = v^2/(Rg). Since you already found the velocity v for a displacement x, your problem is solved.

im having a problem here:
iv'e done the calclulation for v, v^2=2xg
and cos(a)=x/sqrt(2xR)
but then:
x/sqrt(2xR)=v^2/Rg=2xg/Rg=2x/R
x/2R=4x^2/R^2
Rx=8x^2
x=R/8
and according to my book the answer is R/3, where did i go wrong here?

someone can help me here?
any help is appreciated.

Find cos(a) in terms of x and R from what you've already found out[cos(a) = v^2/Rg] and then find what cos(a) is from the diagram (right triangle).Equate the two.

a is the angle of the velocity of the block, i found that:
cos(a)=x/sqrt(2xR)
bus as i said i don't get in the end the right answer, which is R/3.

angle of the velocity?

Take a look at radou's post. A is the angle bet. the vertical and the position at which the block falls off.

so how should i calculate the angle, i thought that my calclualtion was correct i.e cos(a)=x/sqrt(2xR)
how should i calculate the angle?

what did i do wrong here?

[tex]\cos{a} = \frac{v^2}{Rg}[/tex]

[tex]v^2 = 2gx[/tex] - conservation of energy

Also, [tex]\cos{a} = \frac{R-x}{R}[/tex] (from the right triangle)

Angle a is measured clockwise from the vertical two the point where the block loses contact.

Last edited:

1. What is the simple question that confused you?

The simple question that confused me is "Why is the sky blue?"

2. Can you explain the scientific explanation for why the sky is blue?

Yes, the sky appears blue because of the way that sunlight is scattered in the Earth's atmosphere. Shorter blue wavelengths of light are scattered more easily by the gases and particles in the atmosphere, making the sky appear blue to our eyes.

3. Are there other factors that can affect the color of the sky?

Yes, the color of the sky can appear different depending on the time of day, weather conditions, and location. For example, the sky may appear more orange or red during sunrise and sunset due to the scattering of longer red wavelengths of light.

4. Is the color of the sky the same everywhere on Earth?

No, the color of the sky can vary depending on geographic location. For example, the sky may appear more violet in some parts of the world due to different atmospheric conditions and the angle of the sun's rays.

5. Can the color of the sky change over time?

Yes, the color of the sky can change over time due to factors such as pollution, changes in atmospheric composition, and natural events like volcanic eruptions. These changes can affect how sunlight is scattered in the atmosphere, resulting in different colors of the sky.