Force and Newton law of Motion

In summary, the question is asking for the magnitude and direction of the acceleration of an object with a mass of 3kg, given that only two forces (x=40N and a=60N at 45 degrees above the horizon) are acting on it. The next step is to use the formula for Newton's second law in component form to find the acceleration in the x-direction. To do this, you need to add the force components in the x-direction and divide by the mass of the object. It may be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the situation.
zeshkani
hi there i have a question in which i can't get the answer i will show my work on what i did, if anybody can help , that would help a lot .

here is the question:

only two forces act on an object (mass= 3kg)

x=40N
a=60N is at 45 degrees above the horizon
y= ?
find the magnitude and direction (relative to the x-axis) of the acceleration of the object?

i can use (a=60N)sin(45)= 42.42degrees, but where do i go from here, or what's the next step, i did try squaring y+x under the square root, but that's not the magnitude, because the answer in teh back of the book is different.

any help is welcome thanks:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok first of all the 42.42 value won't be in degrees, it will be in Newtons. Secondly, draw a diagram, it always helps.

In order to help you more i need to know which direction the x force is in. so draw up what you think is happeneing and then attach it.

In essence you are just resolving vector components of a force, and need to draw a few triangles and stuff to find the resultant

Newton's second law can be applied in component form:

[tex]\Sigma F_x = ma_x[/tex]

that is

[tex]a_x = \frac{\Sigma F_x}{m}[/tex]

so to get the acceleration in the x-direction you need to add the force components acting on the object in the x-direction and divide that by its mass.

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that causes an object to accelerate or change its state of motion. It can be measured in units of Newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F.

2. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are a set of three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that objects will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. How are force and motion related?

Force and motion are related through Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be.

4. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, but weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity in different locations.

5. Can an object be in motion without a force acting on it?

According to Newton's first law of motion, an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Therefore, an object can only be in motion without a force acting on it if it is already moving at a constant velocity or if there are no external forces acting on it.