How Does Particle Motion on an XY Plane Change Over Time?

In summary, the conversation discussed the acceleration of a particle on a horizontal xy plane, given by a=3ti + 4tj, where a is in meters per second-squared and t is in seconds. At t=0, the particle's position vector is r=(20.0m)i + (40.0m)j and its velocity vector is v=(5.00m/s)i +(2.00m/s)j. The conversation then asked for the position vector in unit-vector notation and the angle between the particle's direction of travel and the positive direction of the x axis at t=4.00 s. The solution involved breaking down the problem into two separate 1d problems, finding the i and
kara
The acceleration of a particle on a horizontal xy plane is given by a=3ti + 4tj, where a is in meters per second-squared and t is in sec. At t=0, the particle has the position vector r=(20.0m)i + (40.0m)j and the velocity vector
v=(5.00m/s)i +(2.00m/s)j. At t=4.00 s, what are its position vector in unit-vector notation and the angle between its direction of travel and the positive direction of the x axis?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll say the same thing here as in the other problem: treat the axis as separate problems, solve both, then put the problem back together. By this point in class you've done 1d problems plenty - break this down into two separate 1d problems, figure out the i and j positions, then draw a picture of where the particle is and find the angle.

Firstly, let's break down the given information. We are given the acceleration of the particle, a=3ti + 4tj, where a is in meters per second-squared and t is in seconds. This means that the acceleration is changing over time, as it is dependent on t.

We are also given the initial position vector, r=(20.0m)i + (40.0m)j, where i and j are unit vectors in the x and y directions, respectively. This tells us that at t=0, the particle is located at the point (20.0m, 40.0m) on the xy plane.

Furthermore, we are given the initial velocity vector, v=(5.00m/s)i +(2.00m/s)j, which tells us that at t=0, the particle is moving with a velocity of 5.00 m/s in the x direction and 2.00 m/s in the y direction.

Now, we are asked to find the position vector at t=4.00 s in unit-vector notation and the angle between its direction of travel and the positive direction of the x axis. To do this, we can use the equations of motion:

r(t) = r(0) + v(0)t + 0.5at^2

v(t) = v(0) + at

Where r(t) and v(t) are the position and velocity vectors at time t, r(0) and v(0) are the initial position and velocity vectors, and a is the acceleration vector.

Substituting the given values, we have:

r(4.00 s) = (20.0m)i + (40.0m)j + (5.00m/s)i(4.00 s) + (2.00m/s)j(4.00 s) + 0.5(3ti + 4tj)(4.00 s)^2

= (20.0m + 20.0m + 24.0m)i + (40.0m + 8.00m + 16.0m)j

= (64.0m)i + (64.0m)j

Therefore, the position vector at t=4.00 s is r(4.00 s) = (64.0m)i +

1. What is a vector in physics?

A vector in physics is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction.

2. How is a vector different from a scalar?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. For example, speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity (which includes direction) is a vector quantity.

3. What are the basic operations that can be performed on vectors?

The basic operations that can be performed on vectors in physics are addition, subtraction, and multiplication by a scalar. Addition of vectors involves combining the magnitudes and directions of two or more vectors, while subtraction involves subtracting the magnitude and direction of one vector from another. Multiplication by a scalar involves multiplying the magnitude of a vector by a number.

4. How are vectors represented mathematically?

Vectors are typically represented mathematically using coordinates or components. In a two-dimensional system, a vector can be represented as (x, y), where x and y are the horizontal and vertical components respectively. In a three-dimensional system, a vector can be represented as (x, y, z), where x, y, and z represent the components in the x, y, and z directions respectively.

5. What are some real-life examples of vectors?

Some real-life examples of vectors include force (which has both magnitude and direction), velocity (which is a combination of speed and direction), and displacement (which is a change in position and has both magnitude and direction). Other examples include wind velocity, electric and magnetic fields, and gravitational force.