What are the main purposes of online communities?

• Thread starter Sane
  • Start date
In summary, the purpose of this community is to connect people who know things to other people who don't know the same things. It is an incredibly successful endeavor, and one that should be maintained.
Sane
Online communities generally have several purposes, in my opinion. There are two that strike me as most important.

The most obvious and prominent one is to learn through one another, and share information and opinions freely.

But the other, equally important purpose, is to accomplish something together, as a community. Many communities do a project, where all of the members combine their skills to produce something of material significance.

We are lacking significantly in purpose, with respect to the latter aspect. There are Distributed-Computing Applications stickied in the Biology forum, but no one seems to be using them. A community of this amazing size could really make an impact if we were all to come together and contribute to one of these projects.

It would be nice to see the importance of joining a team on one of the Distributed-Computing Applications not under-stated. Also, there is much potential for the Technology and Science divisions to come together and make some useful Applications or Software.

I'm done with my rant. What's your take?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that the tutoring and support of scientific learning is a common goal and accomplishment. It appears to me that all of the members here do indeed combine their skills to help bring people to a better understanding of things. What can be a better puropse than that? Especially in the US where it is apparent that scientific education is headed in the wrong direction.

Yes, I agree. That is a fantastic accomplishment of Physics Forums. Its support for new learners is unprecendented beyond any other forum I have ever visited.

I had considered that more in the realm of the first purpose, however. "The most obvious and prominent one is to learn through one another, and share information and opinions freely."

As far as I'm concerned, this site is unbelievable in its accomplishments. From a high-school project to the foremost science site on the web is one hell of an achievement.
The communal spirit is to teach science. A side benefit is that some of us become friends. And there are various levels of those friendships. Some here know my real name. I know the real first and last names of some, the real first names of some others, and only the user names of others. But, we are a community... almost a family. We have our tender moments, and our squabbles, but it all works out. Just because Astronuc and I don't PM each other every ten minutes doesn't mean that we don't consider each other.
Lie back and get into the PF scene. If it isn't adequate for your needs, then there are probably other places where those can be fulfilled. Just know that you're always welcome here regardless.

I did not intend for this to sound like a complaint sparked from inadequacies. The focus of this thread is at the bottom of the post. "It would be nice to see the importance of joining a team on one of the Distributed-Computing Applications not under-stated. Also, there is much potential for the Technology and Science divisions to come together and make some useful Applications or Software."

Sometimes I honestly don't get it, Sane. You really like to complain about the site, but the things you complain about are minute, and the ways you suggest changing them often don't really make any sense.

Sure, our membership has the potential to work together on a distributed-computing project. We also probably have the potential to write a *****in' game. We might even have the potential to design a pretty successful Martian rover!

But... that's not what this site is meant to do, even if the people who frequent it could do those things. This site's purpose is to connect people who know things to other people who don't know the same things -- and we do it admirably, in my opinion.

There are already many websites that recruit users into teams to work on distributed-computing projects. There are already many websites that recruit computer programmers into large-scale, important software projects. (Just browse sourceforge for about, oh, three minutes.) I bet many of our members contribute to those communities, too, but that doesn't mean we should try to duplicate their purposes.

We are not a Swiss Army knife -- we're an educational forum, a site with one rather well-defined purpose. Diluting the website by having it cater to too many other purposes would only hurt it. If you would like to start sister websites, consider speaking to Greg. If they're relevant enough, they might even get linked at the top of each page.

- Warren

I've sent you a personal message regarding the part of your post directed at me.

For the rest, you're right. A website as large as this would not benefit from having multiple purposes. The reason this got so popular in the first place, is because of what it had to offer. Collaboration belongs in a website intended for such.

I think you've mistaken the tone of my first post. I'm not the kind to complain, and inversely, not the kind to use "emoticons" to make my posts reflect the tone of voice I'm actually using. :wink:

Sane said:
Online communities generally have several purposes, in my opinion. There are two that strike me as most important.

The most obvious and prominent one is to learn through one another, and share information and opinions freely.

But the other, equally important purpose, is to accomplish something together, as a community. Many communities do a project, where all of the members combine their skills to produce something of material significance.

We are lacking significantly in purpose, with respect to the latter aspect. There are Distributed-Computing Applications stickied in the Biology forum, but no one seems to be using them. A community of this amazing size could really make an impact if we were all to come together and contribute to one of these projects.

It would be nice to see the importance of joining a team on one of the Distributed-Computing Applications not under-stated. Also, there is much potential for the Technology and Science divisions to come together and make some useful Applications or Software.

I'm done with my rant. What's your take?
I have to disagree that PF is lacking in purpose.

I would simply echo what FredGarvin and Danger mentioned. Assisting students in homework and others in learning, or providing guidance or information on scientific and technical matters is too me a significant accomplishment.

Beyond the educational aspect, PF enables one to socialize with people who have a common interest and passion for science and life in general. We gather from all over the world, and that is a rich experience. And many people become friends. I already met a couple of PFers in person, and I'm looking forward to meeting many others.

Astronuc said:
I already met a couple of PFers in person, and I'm looking forward to meeting many others.
Yeah...talking 'bout meeting in person. I submitted an abstract for the april 2007 MRS conference. In january i know if i am accepted or not. If so, do we meet in San Francisco, Astronuc (and anybody else) ?

greets
marlon

marlon said:
Yeah...talking 'bout meeting in person. I submitted an abstract for the april 2007 MRS conference. In january i know if i am accepted or not. If so, do we meet in San Francisco, Astronuc (and anybody else) ?
I'll have to see. I'll be pretty busy next year, and actually I'm hoping to be in Europe. It looks like I'll be in England in January.

Beyond that there is a conference in Oregon in March, and one in Boston during June. The first one, I am planning to attend, but its not mandatory. With respect to the conference in Boston, I'm a member of the steering and technical program committees, in addition to other responsbilities, so I have to be there, and its relatively close to home.

I don't know if I'll be on the west coast in April, but I might be able to schedule a trip out that way. :biggrin:

Wow, that's really cool. I've never been to a forum before where people have actually met in person. I've almost been in that situation myself, but am unable to travel these days.

Unless anyone has anything more to say, a moderator can feel free to delete or lock this thread. My observations are withdrawn.

If people are meeting up in the bay area, let me know. I'll buy the first round. ;)

- Warren

...Walks in just in time. Did I hear free booze?

chroot said:
If people are meeting up in the bay area, let me know. I'll buy the first round. ;)

- Warren

Stupid question by a stupid European guy : where is "bay area" ?

marlon

San Francisco.

FredGarvin said:
San Francisco.

OOHH OK.

CHROOT et al. If all goes well i will be in San Francisco at the end of april in 2007. I will let you know more specific details as soon as i know if i can go (depends on conference admission).

marlon

stupid question by math type: what is MRS?

Anyone going to AAPT/AAS Seattle (Jan 07)?

mathwonk said:
stupid question by math type: what is MRS?

Materials Research Society - at least, that's what I'm familiar with.

BTW, if anyone missed the MRS 2006 Fall meeting recently, wait till you find out what you missed - their first ever "Materials" Film Festival! (I kid you not!)

http://www.nature.com/news/2006/061127/full/061127-14.html

Zz.

Good to see everyone found a use for my thread! :biggrin:

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
YEP that's the one

marlon

ZapperZ said:

BTW, if anyone missed the MRS 2006 Fall meeting recently, wait till you find out what you missed - their first ever "Materials" Film Festival! (I kid you not!)

http://www.nature.com/news/2006/061127/full/061127-14.html

Zz.
This looks like my kind of viewing, but I doubt the wife would want to see this...

Zirconia versus teflon featured a man with a frying pan hitting another person in the face repeatedly.

FredGarvin said:
This looks like my kind of viewing, but I doubt the wife would want to see this...

Yeah, but I suppose the man farting in an elevator is less violent.

:rofl:

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
That's the one with which I am also familiar.

http://www.mrs.org/s_mrs/index.asp

I really should get more involved in this group, but I already overextended. :rolleyes:

Sane said:
Good to see everyone found a use for my thread! :biggrin:
The thread has taken on a life of it's own. :biggrin:

Actually, I might get to see Clausius2 this week, since I happen to be nearby at the moment.

1. What is the purpose of a community?

A community is a group of individuals who share common interests, beliefs, and goals. The purpose of a community is to bring people together and foster a sense of belonging, support, and collaboration. Communities can serve many functions, such as providing social support, promoting shared values and traditions, and working towards common goals.

2. How do communities benefit individuals?

Communities offer numerous benefits to individuals, including a sense of belonging and connection, access to resources and support, opportunities for personal growth and development, and a sense of purpose and meaning. Being part of a community can also improve mental and physical health by reducing feelings of isolation and providing a support network.

3. Can communities have a positive impact on society as a whole?

Yes, communities play a crucial role in shaping society. They can promote social cohesion, foster social change, and address social issues by working together towards common goals. Communities also provide a platform for individuals to voice their opinions, advocate for change, and create a sense of unity and solidarity.

4. How can individuals contribute to their community?

Individuals can contribute to their community in various ways, such as volunteering, participating in community events and initiatives, supporting local businesses, and being an active and engaged member. They can also use their skills, knowledge, and resources to help improve the community and make a positive impact.

5. Why is it important to have a sense of community?

A sense of community is essential for individuals and society as a whole. It promotes social connections, reduces feelings of isolation, and provides a support network. It also helps individuals develop a sense of identity and belonging, which can improve overall well-being. Additionally, strong communities contribute to a more cohesive and resilient society.