Troubleshooting Latex Previewer: Copying and Pasting Code from Forums and PDFs

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the LaTeX previewer on the LaTeX thread does not appear to work properly. When trying to use it by copying and pasting text from a PDF or directly from the forum, it only outputs computer jargon and no image. The issue may be related to using [tex] tags or using $ signs. Additionally, there are difficulties in using certain LaTeX commands, such as creating a "not equal" sign. The tutorial may also contain incorrect formatting. The preview mode on the forum does not support LaTeX, unless using a specific previewer with known issues.
Schrodinger's Dog
The Latex previewer on the Latex thread? It doesn't appear to work properly, I'll admit that I don't know much at all about latex but even when I cut and paste text from say the pdf or the forum directly into the box it comes up with a load of compuspeak and no image? Is there a reason for this so far I've tried [tex]x^2\sqrt{x}[\tex] and I get no joy, and a few even simpler equations but nothing but error script?

Btw I cut and pasted that from the pdf tutorial to make sure I had the format right? Am I beind stupid, is my formatting wrong, or can you not copy and paste latex code from the forum to the test program?

Ahhh, I tried adding $ signs instead of using the [tex][\tex] tags and it appeared to work; any reason why the tex tags don't work? As in the instructions it says to place tex tags before maths?

I've just noticed the math mode as well, maybe I should have played around first. I guess everyone just knows that you don't need to use the format [tex] tags unless your a chump :smile: but anyway live and learn...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no pro at it but when you write:
[tex]x^2\sqrt{x}[/tex]
Doesn't the slash need to be forward ( / ) not backwards ( \ )as yours seem to be in the closing tag?
While I'm at it does anyone know the Latex to make a "NOT =" sign?

Last edited:
RandallB said:

[tex] \neq [/tex] \neq

Thanks,
test on variations of not ; [tex] \neq [/tex] \neq

[tex] \geq [/tex] \geq
[tex] \ngeq [/tex] \geq

[tex] \leq [/tex] \leq
[tex] \nleq [/tex] \nleq

[tex]\simeq[/tex] \simeq
... \nsimeq ... is not valid

Last edited:
RandallB said:
Thanks,
test on variations of not ; [tex] \neq [/tex] \neq

[tex] \geq [/tex] \geq
[tex] \ngeq [/tex] \geq

[tex] \leq [/tex] \leq
[tex] \nleq [/tex] \nleq

[tex]\simeq[/tex] \simeq
... \nsimeq ... is not valid

[tex] \not\eq [/tex] \not\eq

[tex] \not\geq [/tex] \not\geq

[tex] \not\leq [/tex] \not\leq

[tex]\not\simeq[/tex] \not\simeq

[tex]\not 5[/tex] \not 5

RandallB said:
I'm no pro at it but when you write:
[tex]x^2\sqrt{x}[/tex]
Doesn't the slash need to be forward ( / ) not backwards ( \ )as yours seem to be in the closing tag?

It doesn't like tex tags forward slashed or backwards although point noted.(in the tutorial it's actually that way which is where I copied it from)

It also doesn't use \frac instead it uses the format 1 \over 2.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
SD, are you talking about the preview mode or posting in general?

LaTeX is not enabled in preview mode...unless you're using the previewer linked here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=144652 , but there's problems with that tester.

Yeah that's the one, I didn't realize it had been highlighted already, the idea was to let people know there are a few issues with that previewer so job done. Thanks people for the advice.

What is a Latex Previewer?

A Latex Previewer is a software tool that allows users to view and edit Latex code, which is a typesetting language commonly used in academia and scientific publishing.

Why is it important to troubleshoot issues with copying and pasting code from forums and PDFs?

Troubleshooting issues with copying and pasting Latex code from forums and PDFs is important because it ensures the accuracy and integrity of the code, which is crucial for producing high-quality documents in the scientific community.

What are common problems encountered when copying and pasting Latex code?

Common problems encountered when copying and pasting Latex code include formatting errors, missing packages or commands, and incorrect syntax, which can result in the code not compiling or producing unexpected results.

How can one troubleshoot issues with copying and pasting Latex code?

One can troubleshoot issues with copying and pasting Latex code by carefully checking for any formatting errors, ensuring that all necessary packages and commands are included, and referring to the original source or documentation for proper syntax.

Are there any tools or resources available to help with troubleshooting Latex code?

Yes, there are various online forums, tutorials, and guides available that provide tips and solutions for troubleshooting Latex code, as well as specific Latex editors that have built-in debugging features. It is also helpful to consult with experienced Latex users for assistance.