Did I Improve My Performance with Inderal?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Gyroscope
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of taking inderal, a beta andrenergic blocker, for performance anxiety. The individual experienced improved performance on tests after taking inderal, but wonders if this is due to equalizing chemicals in the brain or a placebo effect. The conversation also mentions the use of Kava, an all-natural anti-anxiety supplement. The individual also asks about potential long-term effects of taking inderal and the possibility of a physical cause for their anxiety.
Gyroscope
Am I a very anxious person? I took inderal, and just feel perfect. My performance increased a lot. For example, I never finish a math test before the additional time, and the first time I took inderal, I finished 30 minutes before. The test is for 90 minutes plus 15 minutes. But got the a similar mark: 196/200. The day after I got a biology test for the same amount of time. I finished this test in 20 minutes and got 200/200, and I always take 80/100 minutes to finish a biology test. Why did I get such a different performance?

Biology news on Phys.org
Equalizing chemicals in your brain or placebo.. They Kava for anti-anxiety. It also works as a hallucinogen at high doses and a sedative.

What is placebo and Kava? Sorry, I am not an english native. ;)

Placebo is mind over matter. For example a sugar pill is given to someone and for some reason it improves his/her condition. Its just a mind game. Search google for Cava I think it is.. Its all natural, grown in south america.

Great. Propranalol and other Beta andrenergic blockers can provide significant relief, especially in the case of performance anxiety. I assume hyperthyroidism and pheochromocytoma were ruled out.

What happens if I take Inderal everyday?

Gyroscope said:
What happens if I take Inderal everyday?

its a pretty benign drug--blocks the effect of adrenaline--less a bear is after you--can reduce exercise capacity.
js

Last edited:
Thank you, lol, you are funny. And my mother adviced me not to take it everyday because Inderal could loose his effect as I get used to it. Is this right?

to some extent she is absolutely right, that the body will often fight the effects of drugs over time. But with inderal, at least for the treatment of high blood pressure, the effect is not that pronounced. If you feel better I would take it every day, and when possible see whether there is a physical cause for the anxiety, as it usually does not work that well for anxiety unless it is stress related--which is why I mentioned that a thyroid check should be first thing, especially if your resting heart rate without inderal is above 80, or you always feel too hot.

If I could do a test faster, I would assume that it had to do with improved concentration. This could be any (or a combination) of the following:
1) Concentration improvement as I read the test materials; or
2) Better concentration to what the lecturer is saying (instead of daydreaming, or obsessing on other things); or
3) Better memory of what I read (or heard); and/or
4) At test time, less nervousness, so I can retrieve the info quickly (no more test-anxiety).

Last edited:

What causes anxiety?

There is no one specific cause of anxiety. It is often a combination of factors, including genetics, brain chemistry, life experiences, and environmental stressors.

What are the symptoms of anxiety?

The symptoms of anxiety can vary from person to person, but some common physical symptoms include increased heart rate, sweating, trembling, and dizziness. Emotional symptoms can include excessive worrying, restlessness, and difficulty concentrating.

How can I manage my anxiety?

There are many strategies for managing anxiety, including therapy, medication, exercise, and relaxation techniques such as deep breathing and meditation. It is important to find what works best for you and to seek professional help if needed.

Can anxiety be cured?

Anxiety cannot be cured, but it can be effectively managed and treated. With the right combination of therapy and/or medication, individuals can learn to cope with their anxiety and lead fulfilling lives.

What should I do if I have an anxiety attack?

If you are experiencing an anxiety attack, it is important to try to remain calm and focus on your breathing. Remove yourself from the situation if possible, and seek support from a friend or loved one. If your anxiety attacks are frequent and severe, it is important to talk to a healthcare professional for additional support and resources.