Where Does f(z) = a + z - exp(z) Have a Zero in the Left Half-Plane?

In summary, we are trying to show that the function f(z) = a + z - exp(z) has exactly one zero in the left half-plane {z in C : Re(z) < 0}. To do this, we can use Rouché's theorem by letting h(z) = -exp(z) and g(z) = z + a. We want to show that |h(z)| < |g(z)| for z restricted to the left half-plane, which will imply that z+a has one zero and thus f(z) has one zero in the left half-plane (since a>1). For part b), we used the same approach and found that the zero must reside in the real interval [-a+1
moo5003

Homework Statement

a in Reals, a>1.

f(z) = a + z - exp(z)

a) Show that f has exactly one zero in the left half-plane {z in C : Re(z) < 0}

b) Show that this zero is on the real line

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I havnt had much progress on the problem as of yet. I'm trying to use Rouches theorem letting:

h(z) = -exp(z)
g(z) = z + a

and then showing that restricting z to the left half-plane
|h(z)|<|g(z)| implying that z+a has as many zeroes as f(z) and therefore showing that f(z) has one zerio in the left half plane (since z+a has one since a>1).

Problem:

I'm unsure how to get the inequality to show |h(z)|<|g(z)| any insight into this would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
(I can't edit my main post?!)

For part b) I did it the same way I wanted to approach part A) and found that the zero must reside in the real interval [-a+1,0).

For part A) I have the following inequality which troubles me.
z= x+iy

abs[-exp(z)]=exp(x)=exp(-abs(x))<1

My problem here is how can I bound 1 by a function (z+a) that equates to 0 at -a. It makes me think I need to find another way to approach the problem that I'm not seeing.

EDIT: Nvm just re-read Rouche's theorem. I was using it wrong.

Last edited:

1. What is "Proof of function zeroes"?

"Proof of function zeroes" is a statistical method used to determine the existence and location of zeros in a function. It is a way to test if a given function has any zeros, and if so, where they are located on the function's graph.

2. How does "Proof of function zeroes" work?

This method works by taking the derivative of the given function and setting it equal to zero. The solutions to this equation will give the possible locations of zeros in the original function. These solutions can then be tested to see if they are indeed zeros of the function.

3. Why is "Proof of function zeroes" important?

"Proof of function zeroes" is important because it allows us to identify the critical points of a function, which can help in understanding the behavior and properties of the function. It also has practical applications in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering.

4. What is the difference between "Proof of function zeroes" and the "Rolle's theorem"?

The "Proof of function zeroes" is a method used to determine the existence and location of zeros in a function, while the "Rolle's theorem" is a mathematical theorem that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, differentiable on the open interval, and has the same value at the endpoints, then there exists at least one point in the interval where the derivative of the function is equal to zero.

5. Are there any limitations to "Proof of function zeroes"?

Yes, there are some limitations to this method. It only works for continuous functions, and it may not always accurately identify all of the zeros of a function. Additionally, the method can become more complex for higher-order functions with multiple critical points.