Intersection of sets spanned by polynomials

In summary, the conversation discusses two sets, s1 and s2, which are spanned by different polynomials. The intersection of these two sets is being sought after. The sets can be defined as the set of all polynomials that can be formed by a linear combination of the given polynomials, with real or complex coefficients. To find the intersection, the given polynomials can be equated and linear equations can be solved. This process is similar to finding the intersection of vector subspaces in R^4.
osuwp
Let s1 be the set spanned by the polynomials: x^3+x+1, x^3-3x^2+x-2, 2x^3-1. Let s2 be the set spanned by the polynomials: x^3-1, x^2+x+1. What is the intersection of s1 and s2?

I really don't know where to begin, I don't know how to define these sets, s1 and s2. since i don't know what they are it is hard for me to find their intersection.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not knowing how to start is not great. And and not knowing how to define s1 and s2 is worse. Can't you look that up? If {p1,p2,p3} is a set of polynomials, then the span is the set of all A1*p1+A2*p2+A3*p3 for A1, A2 and A3 real numbers (or complex, or whatever). Similarly for your second set. If you equate the two you should get some linear equations to solve.

Perhaps you're thrown by the fact it's polynomials. If I were to say what is the intersection of the vector subspace of R^4 spanned by

(1,0,1,1), (1,-3,1,-2), (2,0,0,-1)

and the vector subspace spanned by

(1,0,0,-1) and (0,1,1,1)

wouldn't you have a section in your notes about how to do that?

What is the intersection of sets spanned by polynomials?

The intersection of sets spanned by polynomials refers to the common elements or solutions shared by two or more sets of polynomials. It is the set of values that satisfy all of the polynomials in the given sets.

How is the intersection of sets spanned by polynomials calculated?

The intersection of sets spanned by polynomials is calculated by finding the common solutions or roots of the polynomials in the given sets. This can be done by setting the polynomials equal to each other and solving for the common variable values.

What is the significance of the intersection of sets spanned by polynomials in mathematics?

The intersection of sets spanned by polynomials is significant in mathematics because it allows us to find the common solutions among different sets of polynomials. This has applications in solving systems of equations, finding common factors, and understanding the relationship between different polynomial functions.

How does the intersection of sets spanned by polynomials relate to linear algebra?

The intersection of sets spanned by polynomials is closely related to linear algebra because it involves finding the common solutions or intersection of subspaces in a vector space. This is similar to finding the intersection of sets spanned by polynomials, which are essentially functions in a polynomial vector space.

Can the intersection of sets spanned by polynomials be empty?

Yes, the intersection of sets spanned by polynomials can be empty if there are no common solutions or roots among the given polynomials. This means that the sets do not share any common elements and have no intersection.