Factors Determining Zeeman Splitting in Solid State Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that determine Zeeman splitting in solid state physics. It is mentioned that the g-factor and magnetic field are important factors, while the band mass does not have a significant impact on Zeeman splitting due to the phenomenon being driven by deep atomic levels.
feng
Hello all,

I am learning some basic course in solid state phyiscs. I have a question about Zeeman
splitting in solid state physics. What factors determine the Zeeman splitting? Espcially
does it depends on the band mass?

Thanks.
Best
Feng

Physics news on Phys.org
I may be wrong about this but I think all material/band properties get absorbed in the g-factor.

another obvious factor is magnetic field, and I do not think it depends on band mass, reason is that zeeman splitting is mainly a phenomenon driven by interaction in deep atomic levels, it is hardly affected by interaction of other atoms as in solids, thus hardly there comes a effect of semiconductor interaction in form of effective mass

1. What is Zeeman splitting in solid state physics?

Zeeman splitting is a phenomenon where the energy levels of atoms or molecules in a solid material are split into multiple sub-levels in the presence of a magnetic field. This is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the spin and orbital motion of the charged particles within the material.

2. What factors determine the magnitude of Zeeman splitting in solid state physics?

The magnitude of Zeeman splitting depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the properties of the material (such as its atomic structure and electron spin), and the orientation of the material with respect to the magnetic field.

3. How does Zeeman splitting affect the electronic structure of solid materials?

Zeeman splitting can cause a splitting of the energy bands in solid materials, resulting in new band structures and electronic states. This can have implications for the material's electrical, magnetic, and optical properties.

4. What are some applications of Zeeman splitting in solid state physics?

Zeeman splitting is a crucial concept in understanding and manipulating the properties of materials for various applications. It is used in technologies such as magnetic storage devices, spintronics, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

5. How is Zeeman splitting experimentally observed in solid state physics?

Zeeman splitting can be observed through various experimental techniques, such as spectroscopy, where the effect of the magnetic field on the energy levels can be detected through changes in the material's absorption or emission of light. Other methods include magneto-optical microscopy and electron spin resonance spectroscopy.