Increase gas pressure in unchanged volume

In summary, you would need to increase the pressure by adding more gas to the compressor to achieve the desired pressure. Volume and temperature would stay the same.
wli
Situation:
Start pressure: p1=1 bar;
Volume: V=36m3;
Temp.: T1=T.

Now I need to increase the pressure to 6 bar, but the volume remains unchanged. So:
End pressure: p2=6 bar;
Temp.: T2=T.

So volume and temperature remain unchanged.

What amount of gas (m3) do I need to add to increase the pressure with 5 bar (p2-p1).

Compressor gives 185 l/s, max. working pressure is 7 bar.

I know p*V/T=p*V/T but I'm struggling to calculate the required volume.

Werner

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't given any calculations of your own. Anyway, think of the ideal gas law in its exact form. I hope you are right about the two temps being the same.

wli said:
Situation:
Start pressure: p1=1 bar;
Temp.: T1=T.

Now I need to increase the pressure to 6 bar, but the volume remains unchanged. So:
End pressure: p2=6 bar;
Temp.: T2=T.

So volume and temperature remain unchanged.

What amount of gas (m3) do I need to add to increase the pressure with 5 bar (p2-p1).

Compressor gives 185 l/s, max. working pressure is 7 bar.

I know p*V/T=p*V/T but I'm struggling to calculate the required volume.

Werner

Try ignoring the numbers for the compressor and imagine the container only.

Any calculations you make will have to take into account STP or Standard Temperature and Pressure. You also have to know that to raise the pressure in a fixed volume container will also raise the temperature. But then after you have raised the pressure, and the temp went up with it, the pressure will drop as you let the compressed gas cool to the original temp. The whole thing is a dynamic system in which changing anyone factor will change the other two.

First you have to understand STP so follow this first link for a tutorial.

http://searchcio-midmarket.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid183_gci539342,00.html

Converting all calculations to STP after the fact gives you a basis to make comparisons.

Another helpful tutorial is the one on an "Ideal Gas" and you can find it at the next link

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/idegas.html

Finally you are missing one factor in your question and that is the term "mole" which refers to the absolute quantity of gas in any fixed volume system at any temperature and pressure.

The next link is to a calculator to allow you to figure out all the info you needto know to achieve your goal.

http://www.1728.com/stp2.htm

Last edited:

1. How can gas pressure be increased in an unchanged volume?

In order to increase gas pressure in an unchanged volume, the temperature of the gas must be increased. This can be done by heating the gas or by compressing it into a smaller volume, which will increase the number of gas molecules per unit volume.

2. What is the relationship between gas pressure and volume?

According to Boyle's Law, the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume. This means that as the volume of a gas decreases, the pressure will increase, and vice versa, as long as the temperature remains constant.

3. Can gas pressure be increased without changing the volume?

Yes, gas pressure can also be increased by adding more gas molecules to the same volume. This can be achieved by introducing more gas into the container, either by opening a valve or by chemical reactions that produce gas.

4. What happens to gas pressure when the volume is decreased?

If the temperature of the gas remains constant, decreasing the volume will result in an increase in gas pressure. This is because the same number of gas molecules are now occupying a smaller space, leading to more frequent collisions between molecules and the container walls.

5. How does increasing gas pressure affect the behavior of the gas?

Increasing gas pressure will cause the gas molecules to move closer together and exert a stronger force on the container walls. This can lead to changes in the physical properties of the gas, such as a decrease in volume or an increase in temperature.