Electric field due to two point charge

In summary, Two point charges are placed on the x axis. The first charge, q1 = 8.00nC, is placed a distance 16.0 m from the origin along the positive x axis; the second charge, q2 = 6.0nC, is placed a distance 9.00m from the origin along the negative x axis. The electric field at the origin, point O, is found to be: Eox = -0.948 N/C and Eoy = 0.
Alexis565
Two point charges are placed on the x axis. The first charge, q1 = 8.00nC , is placed a distance 16.0 m from the origin along the positive x axis; the second charge, q2 = 6.0nC , is placed a distance 9.00m from the origin along the negative x axis.

Find the electric field at the origin, point O.
What is Eox, Eoy=?

Give the x and y components of the electric field as an ordered pair. Express your answer in Newtons per coulomb to three significant figures. Keep in mind that an x component that points to the right is positive and a y component that points upward is positive.

So here is what i did...
Using Coulombs equation to frind electric field E=kQ/r(sqrd)
I converted from nC to C and found E for both charges.
Then since they're asking for vector component. I plugged the number(E) into i^hat of both charges, and the j^hat is zero. Then i added it. But its saying that my answer is wrong. can somebody please help me.
What am i missing here? I am probably skipping the most important part of this problem...

Attachments

• 1011305A.jpg
    1011305A.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 2,815
Physics news on Phys.org
Alexis565 said:
Give the x and y components of the electric field as an ordered pair.
They are looking for an answer like: (a, b)
So here is what i did...
Using Coulombs equation to frind electric field E=kQ/r(sqrd)
I converted from nC to C and found E for both charges.
Then since they're asking for vector component. I plugged the number(E) into i^hat of both charges, and the j^hat is zero. Then i added it.
Show exactly what you did and maybe we can spot the error.

I'm working on that EXACT same problem (we're probably working on the same masteringphysics assigment). This is what I got so far.

I start by "placing" a test charge at the origin.

Here's what I think I should do:

E = [tex]\frac{kQ_1}{r^2}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{kQ_2}{r^2}[/tex]

E_1 = [tex]\frac{(9x10^9)(8x10^-9)}{16^2}[/tex] = -0.281 N/C (it's negative because it's giving a force towards the negative x - axis)

E_2 = [tex]\frac{(9x10^9)(6x10^-9)}{9^2}[/tex] = 0.667 N/C

so 0.667 - 0.261 = 0.451.

Probably wrong.

Last edited:
Hey Doc Al did you get this problem figured out. As far as i can tell we're all using the same approach...but in the end no success. Any more ideas or approaches to this problem?

Alexis565 said:
Hey Doc Al did you get this problem figured out. As far as i can tell we're all using the same approach...but in the end no success. Any more ideas or approaches to this problem?

did you get the same answer as I did for Part A?

Alexis565 said:
The approach spelled out by cse63146 is correct, but the answers are wrong. Two arithmetic mistakes were made: the calculation for E_1 has an error, as does the final subtraction.

Found the mistake for E_1; it's 0.281 instead of 0.261

so the final subtraction would be 0.667 - 0.281 = 0.386

So in the second case, where q2 is negative (q2 = -6 nC), since it's negative, it would attract the test charge toward the negative x - axis, and thus the electrical field would be negative as well.

So it would be: - 0.667 - 0.281 = - 0.948

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

What is the formula for calculating the electric field due to two point charges?

The formula for calculating the electric field due to two point charges is E = k(Q1Q2/r^2), where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the two point charges, and r is the distance between them.

How do I determine the direction of the electric field at a point due to two point charges?

The direction of the electric field at a point due to two point charges can be determined by using the principle of superposition. The electric field vectors of each point charge are added together vectorially to determine the overall direction of the electric field at that point.

What are the units of electric field due to two point charges?

The units of electric field due to two point charges are N/C (newtons per coulomb) or V/m (volts per meter). These units represent the strength of the electric field at a given point.

Can the electric field due to two point charges be negative?

Yes, the electric field due to two point charges can be negative. This indicates that the direction of the electric field is in the opposite direction of the positive direction. This can occur when the two point charges have opposite charges or when they are arranged in a specific way.

How does the distance between two point charges affect the strength of the electric field?

The distance between two point charges has an inverse relationship with the strength of the electric field. As the distance between the charges increases, the strength of the electric field decreases. This is because the electric field follows an inverse square law, meaning that the electric field strength decreases exponentially as the distance increases.