Can Ants Be Effectively Eliminated from Sugar Storage Containers?

• Thread starter Defennder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sugar
In summary: This is a pretty good solution. It may take a while for it to completely work, but it should eventually keep the ants away.
Defennder
Homework Helper
I have a container for sugar at home which always has ants crawling in it all the time. I don't know how they get into the sealed container but they always manage to get in. Does anyone know of a way of getting rid of the ants permanently, apart from tracking down their habitat and exterminating all the ants? Or at least keep them away from the sugar and savoury foods?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cleaning your cupboards and storing the sugar in a sealed container would work.

Actually it doesn't. Even if I get rid of them just once, they'll come back the next day. What should I use to clean up with?

Get a completey new container, I'm assuming there the small black ants, (We called them piss ants) that is absolutely airtight, like one of the old ceramic things with the latch and the seal. We have one like that that was used for coffee.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
Or give me your ideas for getting rid of them. They are really bad this summer - it's like we have some strain of genetically modified super-ant.
Usually, I put the cat's food inside a small bowl and then put that in a larger dish filled with water so the ants can't get to it. These suckers actually float across to the food and float back!
Haha!

Got to thinking again. You could make sure there are ABSOLUTELY none in it, then put it in your fridge or freezer.

Defennnder said:
I have a container for sugar at home which always has ants crawling in it all the time. I don't know how they get into the sealed container but they always manage to get in. Does anyone know of a way of getting rid of the ants permanently, apart from tracking down their habitat and exterminating all the ants? Or at least keep them away from the sugar and savoury foods?

How do you get ants in your kitchen?

There must be a leak.

My parent remodeled the kitchen last year. They had found why cockroaches kept on crawling in. There was a hole in the wall.

binzing said:
Got to thinking again. You could make sure there are ABSOLUTELY none in it, then put it in your fridge or freezer.

A+++++++

kmarinas86 said:
How do you get ants in your kitchen?

There must be a leak.

My parent remodeled the kitchen last year. They had found why cockroaches kept on crawling in. There was a hole in the wall.
Well, for one thing ants are a lot smaller than roaches. You mean you don't have ants in your kitchen at all?

I kind of like binzing's idea. I think I'll do it.

Ok, but now that they're crawling all over the sugar, how do I get them out of it?

Ants following a 'scent' path laid down to a food source. Wipe down the counter and as far back as you can see the ants on their path. Put the sugar container in an air tight 'zip' lock plastic bag. Spray the baseboards and the foundation of the house (if you live in a house). This also helps to disrupt the ants scent path. Change the location of where you keep the sugar (the frig isn't a bad idea for at least a while)

Feynman had a section in 'Surely, You're Joking...' about some trouble with ants.

First, I'd start by throwing out the sugar you have in the house...all of it! Are they getting into any other food in the cupboard where you store your sugar? Toss any of that too. And clean out everything else. Wipe down all the counters and cupboard shelves and outsides of any other containers you have with a bleach solution. Vacuum thoroughly...use the hose attachment to vacuum inside the cabinets and under fridge and stove, etc, to remove any stray ants and food crumbs they may thrive on. If you have carpet in the kitchen, now is a good time to do a thorough steam cleaning (the ants could have a trail through carpet that you can't see).

Then, get jars with the rubber seals (like old-fashioned canning jars, but you can find plastic cannisters like that too). Since you already have an existing problem, I'd go for double sealing any dry foods, including sugar and flour. Put a ziploc type bag inside the jar, seal the sugar (or other food) inside that, then seal the jar (or you can do it the other way around...seal the jar inside a ziploc bag if you have a large enough bag to do it that way). Whenever you do anything in the kitchen, you'll have to be meticulous about cleaning up after yourself, making sure nothing is left spilled on the counters that can nourish returning or missed ants.

rewebster's point of spraying the baseboards and foundation is good too, as well as inside window and door frames (easy places for ants to sneak in), some of the ground around the house, and around the places where any water or gas lines come in through the walls. If there are gaps around the water lines, get some of that foam sealer spray stuff (comes in a can) and squirt it in there to seal the spaces off. These are the most common ways that "critters" find their way into kitchens. If that doesn't resolve the problem, you may need to hire an exterminator with stronger insecticides and who can inject it into walls or other places they are coming in (that may require cleaning out the entire kitchen to allow an exterminator to spray the whole place and do a thorough job without contaminating food, plates, etc., and if you need to go to that extreme, you'll probably need to plan a few days stay someplace other than your home while the pesticides air out, and then another day to clean the surfaces in your kitchen of residue before you put anything back...at that point, I'd throw away anything that's not canned food so you don't bring back any stow aways to repopulate.)

Ugh, extreme spring cleaning. Sounds quite drastic. Just so you guys know, I've been drinking ants-flavoured beverages such as tea and coffee for some time now. For some reason, the ants actually die in the sugar after some time.

Yes, they dehydrate. But if you're an ant, what a way to go!

hypatia said:

I've had more problems with them this week. :frown: I thought all the rain we've had would drown them, but it has only chased them into my apartment. They keep attacking my refrigerator. I come home and find a trail to the frig, and then open the freezer and find hundreds of them cryogenically suspended.

Here are my little friends from South of the border:
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ww0403.htm

Defennnder said:
Ugh, extreme spring cleaning. Sounds quite drastic. Just so you guys know, I've been drinking ants-flavoured beverages such as tea and coffee for some time now. For some reason, the ants actually die in the sugar after some time.

Sean Connery did a movie about a species of ant (or ground up ants as the end result) that he was researching that may become extinct in the Amazon that proved to be a cure for cancer that was first found by the native when they were accidently eaten.

Last edited:
Try putting half a bottle of beer on their path; it'll draw them in and they'll drown. It works for roaches and I am guessing it might work for ants.

Thinking of it, a bowl of honey might also work (and be more humane?)

As a global solution, pour boric acid liberally on their path and populated areas (widely available as an insect control powder). Find the cracks they are using to get in and fill them with "spackling paste," "rubber cement," or any other "putty/clay" material, then pour boric acid around. It's a long term battle (war of attrition); be prepared for a long fight -- you have to be determined.

For mice use half a bottle of liquid (e.g. olive) oil. They'll drop in and drown.

Last edited:
rewebster said:
Sean Connery did a movie about a species of ant (or ground up ants as the end result) that he was researching that may become extinct in the Amazon that proved to be a cure for cancer that was first found by the native when they were accidently eaten.
What species of ant is that?

Simply add an inch of salt on top of the sugar. Problem solved.

How then do I remove the salt when I need the sugar?

Defennnder said:

You'll have to ask that question in the chemistry forum. :rofl:

Don't listen to out of whack...just look at his username. :biggrin:

Since we're talking about this problem, I've got a related:

After a while of leaving seemingly certain types of cereal in the cupboard, they soon gather these very tiny brown insects in them, that might be a type of ant. They are very small. I only know they are there after I pour the cereal in a bowl and then pour the milk in because they float to the top. That's a great morning surprise. The first time, it took me half a bowl to notice this because I was so into a book and it was my favorite cereal (imported from Australia or Canada, I think). What the hell are these things, and how do they get in my cereal?

Are they little, black or brown, roundish bugs? If so, they're probably weevils. Common in grain/flour products. Same thing will work for them, seal up the cereal box in a ziploc bag when you buy it. Though, sometimes, they arrive WITH the cereal, having already picked up the bugs in the warehouse, but at least the plastic bag will keep them from spreading in that case.

Mk said:
Since we're talking about this problem, I've got a related:

After a while of leaving seemingly certain types of cereal in the cupboard, they soon gather these very tiny brown insects in them, that might be a type of ant. They are very small. I only know they are there after I pour the cereal in a bowl and then pour the milk in because they float to the top. That's a great morning surprise. The first time, it took me half a bowl to notice this because I was so into a book and it was my favorite cereal (imported from Australia or Canada, I think). What the hell are these things, and how do they get in my cereal?

stick the box in the microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes--then you won't notice them swimming in the milk anymore

For the love of God, if you find ants in your sugar, toss it and buy a new bag.

Defennnder said:

You don't have a salt magnet?

One of the salt sucker ladies from Star Trek, would do the trick.

Nah, like dissolve like. Use alcohol to dissolve the sugar, the salt will be unaffected.

Delzac said:
Nah, like dissolve like. Use alcohol to dissolve the sugar, the salt will be unaffected.

And if you think about taking this advice, just add the alcohol to your coffee and forget the sugar! :biggrin:

Everclear or Akravit?

binzing said:
Everclear or Akravit?

Hey! None for you! You're still underage! You get ants with your sugar. :tongue:

Lolz, I was determining which alcohol level would be needed to dissolve the sugar. I should have include tequila (more likely mescal) and vodka.

I have heard if you mix equal parts of connfectioners sugar and baking soda, and put a dish of this on the ant trails, they will take this home and share it. The baking soda will pop the ants when they eat it, cause ants can't fart.

", cause ants can't fart." Ha ha, that's good. I'll have to try that with some ants in captivity. Somehow, I have my doubts.

<h2>1. Can ants be effectively eliminated from sugar storage containers?</h2><p>Yes, ants can be effectively eliminated from sugar storage containers with the right methods and techniques.</p><h2>2. What are some effective methods for eliminating ants from sugar storage containers?</h2><p>Some effective methods for eliminating ants from sugar storage containers include using ant baits, sealing any cracks or openings in the container, and regularly cleaning and disinfecting the container.</p><h2>3. Are there any natural or non-toxic ways to get rid of ants in sugar storage containers?</h2><p>Yes, there are natural and non-toxic ways to get rid of ants in sugar storage containers. These include using essential oils, such as peppermint or tea tree oil, or creating a mixture of vinegar and water to spray on the container.</p><h2>4. How can I prevent ants from coming back into my sugar storage containers?</h2><p>To prevent ants from coming back into your sugar storage containers, make sure to keep the area clean and free of food debris, seal any cracks or openings in the container, and store the container in a cool and dry place.</p><h2>5. Is it safe to use pesticides to eliminate ants from sugar storage containers?</h2><p>While pesticides may effectively eliminate ants from sugar storage containers, they can also be harmful to human health and the environment. It is recommended to use natural or non-toxic methods first and only resort to pesticides as a last resort.</p>

1. Can ants be effectively eliminated from sugar storage containers?

Yes, ants can be effectively eliminated from sugar storage containers with the right methods and techniques.

2. What are some effective methods for eliminating ants from sugar storage containers?

Some effective methods for eliminating ants from sugar storage containers include using ant baits, sealing any cracks or openings in the container, and regularly cleaning and disinfecting the container.

3. Are there any natural or non-toxic ways to get rid of ants in sugar storage containers?

Yes, there are natural and non-toxic ways to get rid of ants in sugar storage containers. These include using essential oils, such as peppermint or tea tree oil, or creating a mixture of vinegar and water to spray on the container.

4. How can I prevent ants from coming back into my sugar storage containers?

To prevent ants from coming back into your sugar storage containers, make sure to keep the area clean and free of food debris, seal any cracks or openings in the container, and store the container in a cool and dry place.

5. Is it safe to use pesticides to eliminate ants from sugar storage containers?

While pesticides may effectively eliminate ants from sugar storage containers, they can also be harmful to human health and the environment. It is recommended to use natural or non-toxic methods first and only resort to pesticides as a last resort.