Another simple question that I don't get

• Thread starter r6mikey
  • Start date
In summary: I always get lost trying to figure out the problems and end up struggling. It's really discouraging when I can't figure something out and I'm not the only one, it seems like a lot of people have this same issue. In summary, the author is struggling to solve a homework problem and is confused.
r6mikey
[SOLVED] Another simple question that I don't get :(

Homework Statement

Find the Length of the indicated curve

y=2x-3 x[1-3]

Homework Equations

Arc Length=[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\sqrt{1+[f'(x)]^{2}dx}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so y'=2 of course,

so it becomes a problem of [tex]\int from 1 to 3 for \sqrt{5}[/tex]

using substitution, u=5 ,and this is where i get a little confused...

du=0dx which would make dx=du/0

the answer becomes 2[tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex]

I'm sure I'm making it harder than it is, I always do... :(

Physics news on Phys.org
and thinking about it, i should probably not be using the formula for arc length for this problem, even though it is in the arc length chapter...since this is a linear function

using the arc length formula the only thing i can think of is that when i get

[tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex]dx and dx ends up being 0, it becomes neglible so i only have [tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex] to evaluate from 1 to 3... but then my question would be, I know subtracting 3[tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex] from 1[tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex] gives me the answer 2[tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex] but there is no X in front of the [tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex]

:(

In the formula for arc length, the dx should be OUTSIDE of the radicand. Does this help you?

Hint: it should!

What is [tex]\int_1^3\sqrt{5}*dx[/tex]

Last edited:
yea sorry, forgot to put the dx on the outside, but still confused... using substitution and writing the problem like this...

u[tex]^{1/2}[/tex] where u=5, du=0dx so dx=du/0 which is ?

continuing, if it is right u[tex]^{1/2}[/tex]du would become u[tex]^{3/2}[/tex] times 2/3 so I'm doing something wrong with the substituion...I'm just confusing meself :(

I can do all the problems except this one b/c when I take the derivative of u it becomes nothing... so that is where I am getting lost

Last edited:
What are you doing? Why the need for u sub? Again I ask you what is [tex]\int c*dx[/tex]

where c is any constant...any constant like, oh let's say [itex]\sqrt 5[/itex]

so you're saying it would just become (integral)c=x so x(sqrt 5)

I'm not seeing the obvious, for some reason i 'm thinking i need substitution...wtf

Last edited:
r6mikey said:
[tex]\intc[/tex]=x so you're saying it would just become x[tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex]

Of course! sqrt5 is just a number, just some constant. Pull it through the integral and proceed as normal. Evaluate what you have from x=3--->x=1

---->(3-1)*[itex]\sqrt 5[/itex]
[tex]\int_{x_0}^x cdx=c\int_{x_o}^x dx=c[x]_{x_o}^x[/tex]
What is there to substitute? What are you going to replace with u?

Last edited:
you with me?

I believe so, i just think i got to step away from these books for awhile:yuck:

We all do! I feel the same way most of the time!

What is the purpose of "Another simple question that I don't get"?

The purpose of this question may vary depending on the context, but it is likely being asked to gain a better understanding of a particular topic or concept that the person is struggling to comprehend.

Why is "Another simple question that I don't get" important in the field of science?

In science, asking questions is crucial for expanding our knowledge and understanding of the world around us. By asking questions that we don't understand, we can delve deeper into a topic and potentially make new discoveries.

What are some strategies for answering "Another simple question that I don't get"?

Some strategies for answering this question may include breaking down the topic into smaller, more manageable pieces, using real-life examples to explain the concept, and encouraging the person to ask follow-up questions to clarify their understanding.

How can I encourage others to ask "Another simple question that I don't get"?

As a scientist, it is important to create a safe and open environment for asking questions. You can encourage others to ask "Another simple question that I don't get" by actively listening, being patient, and showing genuine interest in their inquiries.

What should I do if I don't know the answer to "Another simple question that I don't get"?

It's okay to not know the answer to every question. As a scientist, it is important to be honest and transparent. You can offer to research the question and follow up with the person later, or suggest finding resources together to find the answer.